Even before surfing around here, I knew I have a "Ford/Chevy" question, but I'll risk it, sorry if this is the (wrong) , but I didn't want to get caught inside the box posting to FADAL or HAAS forums.

Application: drill 3/4" 3" in gummy Al, rapid to next location (X&Y), repeat. The location isn't sub-mil, but trying to hold +/-.003 dia doesn't leave room for chatter or walking.

It's been a while, but I have played a little with heavy machines: probably overkill here, certainly out of budget. Moreso, we're looking for quick service, even the best machines can break, and have the occasional lemon.

We have a HAAS dealer with great service, they've brought in HAAS parts overnight for us; they claim to service anything, but with longer lead times; they did say they have pretty good results on FADAL. Also have a FADAL dealer in the area. The latter I've seen and heard very good things about; I'm not sure they're as quick on parts, but he set up a trial run for us the same day I called him (actually, I had to reschedule for a few days latter to get the cutter in). The HAAS dealer won't even let you do a run-off on a new or used machine even if you bought it [30 day return policy though].

We were too slow on getting a decked out used VF3 [40X20] from the HAAS dealer, they have a Fadal 4020, but then the FADAL reman [6 month warranty] starts to look interesting. The application looks like we need through spindle coolant; anyone have a used machine upgraded?

Any thoughts? The remans pretty good? Will they outfit them with a Fanuc (or is it even worth it?)? Am I missing something in the HAAS line-up (they don't offer remans)? We have some nasty temp swings too [extremes that is not rates]; preloaded screws OK? How about motors in 100++ temps? Anything else, I'm missing?

Thanks!