586,792 active members*
2,540 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HAAS Tool Probe

Does the HAAS Mill WIPS tool probe know where it is mounted in relation to the bed or do you have to jog to the tool probe prior to beginning?

I have watched the HAAS Tip Of The Day and it looks like it is automated but when I try it in class it doesn't move to the tool probe.

Re: HAAS Tool Probe

It knows where X,Y,Z zero is in relation to itself, but it has no clue to where you want it to go or where your part is.
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

My question stemmed from the Tool Offsets Explained – Haas Automation Tip of the Day. Around the 8 minute mark when he starts the probe cycle the machine Z raises then travels on X to the tool probe to begin and wondered it that was a calibration issue or not.

that depends on measuring macro. U can always add the XY position in machine CS for measuring. Probably nit in every version it is added in factory.

Quote Originally Posted by tez View Post
    Does the HAAS Mill WIPS tool probe know where it is mounted in relation to the bed or do you have to jog to the tool probe prior to beginning?

I have watched the HAAS Tip Of The Day and it looks like it is automated but when I try it in class it doesn't move to the tool probe.
    More information is always helpful. What year machine? They do not all act the same. Which measuring routine are you trying to use? They do not all act the same. For example, on my '07, "Automatic Length Only" and "Automatic Length Rotating" both go to X/Y over the probe automatically, but "Manual Length Only" does NOT move X or Y.

Quote Originally Posted by tez View Post

when you go threw the calibration steps then your machine will work just like the video. Do you have a classic control or the Next Gen control?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    More information is always helpful. What year machine? They do not all act the same. Which measuring routine are you trying to use? They do not all act the same. For example, on my '07, "Automatic Length Only" and "Automatic Length Rotating" both go to X/Y over the probe automatically, but "Manual Length Only" does NOT move X or Y.
    X2. Also if you calibrate the probe the control knows where it is.