586,679 active members*
2,980 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > .dwg problems anyone???

.dwg problems anyone???

Hello group,
    I just bought latest version of Bobcad to create code for my Benchman 4000. I do all my drawings in Mechanical Desktop (now converting to Inventor) and got excited when I learned Bobcad will import Autocad .dwg drawings directly. But, having tried several times, and with Bobcad support, any .dwg drawing I load is invisible. I've tried in Mech Desktop 2007 and 2005.
    Anyone out there successfully using this file type? Had this problem? Do Inventor files work?
    Thanks in advance.
    Jeff

Cool dwg

I use dwg files regularely. Inventor files won't work. I found if they are saved as Autocad R14 they work best. Some features are not working great, like splines and some arcs are a pain to work with. Sometimes they invert and mostly they show up as a serious of lines.
    Rules of my Road: Don't do what you will regret! Never regret anything you do!

Quote Originally Posted by slideleft View Post
    Hello group,
    I just bought latest version of Bobcad to create code for my Benchman 4000. I do all my drawings in Mechanical Desktop (now converting to Inventor) and got excited when I learned Bobcad will import Autocad .dwg drawings directly. But, having tried several times, and with Bobcad support, any .dwg drawing I load is invisible. I've tried in Mech Desktop 2007 and 2005.
    Anyone out there successfully using this file type? Had this problem? Do Inventor files work?
    Thanks in advance.
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I use dwg files regularely. Inventor files won't work. I found if they are saved as Autocad R14 they work best. Some features are not working great, like splines and some arcs are a pain to work with. Sometimes they invert and mostly they show up as a serious of lines.
    I haven't had any trouble with DWG files. Can you post a file of a simple box or something to test?
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

dwg sample

Tobyaxis,
    How about this?
    J
    Attached Files Attached Files

I can't open with autocad V14 Says "created with incompatable version"
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Try exploding the file before you export it. It looks like yuou have poly lines and splines in there, and the could be the cause for the results you have indicated.

Regards

Explode?

I thought one of the points of being able to open a dwg directly is that you could leave your drawing as is, and not explode. No? I mean if going to do this extra step, one might as well export as other file type. Right?
    Jeff

I have imported many a DWGs, and I didn't have to do anything but open the file. When I open your file though there is nothing

Quote Originally Posted by The One View Post
    Try exploding the file before you export it. It looks like yuou have poly lines and splines in there, and the could be the cause for the results you have indicated.

Regards
    Hey Buddy,

I tried to open the above file and got the same results. Never had this problem until now. Is there something we are missing? I'm still running V21.4 because I'm too lazy to reset all my personal settings for BCC, LOL.

Will the Update to V21.5.2 fix this or are we up the creek unless someone Explodes the File on Export?
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

I am not entirely sure why the file will not open completely. I can tell you that Rhino 3.0 and all of the versions of BobCAD on my computer would not produce any entities, but Solidworks 2007 did produce the entities.

The entities that were visible were lines and splines, which is the reason I suggested trying to explode the file. I think it may have something to do with the way the entities are defined in the file.

Regards

Here are some reasons that autocad files wont import,

1. All objects should be exploded.
    A. Blocks wont come through .
    B. XREF s wont come through .

2. Autocad objects, drawing cannot contain them .

A. Save as an R12 .DXF ( will eliminate them ).

3. Ellipse Values ,Splines , Need PELLIPSE set to 1, Then redraw it.

4. Dimensions need to be in model space not drawn in paper space.