586,884 active members*
4,251 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 5T Jumpy? /Bad Backlash

After moving a Wasino Samurai-5 Lathe from a friend's, it now has some whacky problems.

Both X & Z seem to have exaggerated backlash compensation. When the axii change direction they jump (advance) about an additional .030". I'm thinking backlase parameters got screwed up some how (and maybe others?).

I have a hand written list of parameters from the machine builder, but many in the machine are different than this list. My list only gives values, not descriptions or what they do. I don't want to start changing them without knowing what the specific parameters do.

Also, the Z feedrate seems slower than it should be in jog mode, its slower than X, which only needs to move by the radius not diameter.

Am I on the right track suspecting the parameters? Does anyone have a list of what each parameter in a 5T does. Any quick help would be great, we were supposed to be making chips with this machine by now.

Thanks,

John

The backlash parameters on a 5T are parameters 06, 07, and 08. They're set in binary, so it's kind of difficult to describe how to set them.

Why don't you tell me what these parameters are set to, and I'll tell you what the backlash comp is.

If the axes are jumping when they reverse direction only, it could be a mis-setting in the comp parameters. Try this: Write down what parameters 06, 07, and 08 are, then set them to zero and see if the servos behave normally.

The machine has been moved, so other servo problems may be an issue here. The 5T used the old 3-phase SCR drives, and they're sensitive to the AC line voltage and phasing.

If the A/C line voltage is phase wrong, you immediatelly pop a fuse to the servo drives at power up - switch a phase, any phase, and this problem will go away.

THe parameters outlined by Dan involve the right 6 bits of the bit input screen.

Funky servo motion can often be solved by doing a complete continuity check from the controller to the servo plugs - machines that misbehave after a move quite often have connection/interconnection gremlins. We spent months dealing with just such issues after we moved our 5T based lathes.

The 5T's are essentially 1978-79 technology. After nearly 30 years of service, connections can and do get flakey - especially after a move. In our case, we lost a ground that had not been documented by the machine tool builder nor Fanuc and the one motherboard "christmas tree'd" (every frigging light/led lit up at once and the machine never ran again - turns out we fried an A board in the process. Talk about an EXPEN$IVE lesson.

My suggestion is to do a COMPLETE continuity check BEFORE you try to run the machine. You could save yourself a pile of cash.