586,096 active members*
3,921 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Kmb1 Help!!

Kmb1 Help!!

I have a 84' kmb1 with bx controller. I have a btr from cmc systems and just recently installed a new spindle drive. Now Iam at the point where I want to do some 3-d milling, the conv. is very handy for quick things.

I do have the master needed for g-code. oh and I have 2 round plugs in the back of the machine, one has a the male end to a phone plug, the other round one has what seems to be the same kind of wire but it looks to be cut. I am running the btr on a pc that is running windows 98'. I hope this is enough info for some help.

Kmb-1

I also have a kmb-1 with the bx controler. I use Bobcad to write the programs and send them to the machine using a null modem cable hooked directly to the board inside the cabinet. On my machine there is a little switch on the back that has to be switched and then a little push button beside it that clears out the old program. After you do this, the screen will say "reading leader". You can now send a g-code program.

My upgraded bx board came from Accurate Machine Tool Services. It may be different than yours but if you need any further help just let me know.

Now, my parajust spindle drive on my machine just let out some smoke and now is dead. Do you happen to have any parts from the original parajust that you want to sell? Or possibly, do you have any information about upgrading to a more modern spindle drive?

Jim

Jim, Yes I have the old PJ. It would not be worth while to install your spindle will run 110% better with a VFD drive. Also I was not aware of any switches to turn to g-code. I can get the reading leader up on screen when I load the g-code master I would prefer to write code long hand then send it to the machine but Im not sure how to send it so the machine will recognizes it.

I realize that the parajust is not real dependable. Where did you get the new drive for your mill and how much did it cost? If you want to sell your parajust I would like to buy it because I believe mine needs just a few parts and I really don't have time to replace the whole right now. I have 260 parts waiting right now to be run on this mill. I will probably replace the whole drive eventually though.

If you go to this website http://www.amtsinc.com/ and go to support. There is a sample program that will run on these mills. They also have a downloadable program called Hurcom that you can put on a computer and use it to download the programs to the machine. The programs can be written using notepad or something similar but I find it much easier to use Bobcad. You may know how to program better than I but programming 3d with notepad would be very hard to do. If you have a drwing of your part I would be happy to use my Bobcad to write you a program. We can help each other out .

Jim if you want it $100.00 is all. Thats the only way I know how to program is long hand I do it all day for molds. I am planning on using the hyperterminal to transfer from pc to machine. Also My drive was $1200. I got it from driverswharehouse.com

Do you have any idea why your parajust didn't work? How hard of a job was it to replace your drive? Did they tell you how to do it?

I don't know how your mill is but mine has the masters stored an eprom on the board. I don't need any computer hooked to mine to start it up. I believe this is why I have the switch in the back, to load the different masters. How do you get yours to run 6,000 rpm. Mine will only go about 4,000?

I have a dif master that I load to run spindle to 6000 rpm. Yeah the new drive is a ***** if you don't have alot of electrical, and almost everyone I talked two said that they were almost all wired diff.. I dont know alot about electrical stuff but I do know it was a nightmare for me but thats me. They do not tell you how to wire it, but they did help me out alot. One thing though DON'T take your pj out till you know what every wire is. It took a couple of hours to go through my wires to label them and I did it 3 times to be safe. You will also need 1 contactor and 2 relays.

Do you know what parts on your parajust are defective? Also, where abouts do you live? I live in Salem, Ohio. I was just wondering how much the shipping would be?

Jim Im in southern MN, and I do know it was the transistors, and I did get new ones they are still in the wrapping never used them.