586,732 active members*
2,828 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tool holder interchangeability between machines.

Tool holder interchangeability between machines.

So whats your opinion on setting up an interchangeable tool library ... if that makes sence.

Im looking at getting a 440 (or 1100 if funds allow) at some stage in the future but in the mean time im considering the Optimum BF 30 (as a manual mill) with the MT3 taper.

Tormach do a MT3 taper to TTS but Id ideally perfer the BF46 but as I havent seen the a ISO 40 (DIN2080) to TTS I assume id have to have one made up (I dont have grinding capabilities)

Whats your opinion on having tools that all share the same tool holder or can be used with an adaptor ? Is it a dream or a option worth doing ?

Regards

Re: Tool holder interchangeability between machines.

I don't see any particular advantage of sharing holders. Using a MT3-->TTS or other adapter will mean more stickout which means less rigidity and less Z-axis room than mounting the tools directly with your manual mill. If you damage a cutter with the manual mill you will have to remember to remeasure and set the correct offset on the Tormach and if you're like me you'll forget with unpleasant consequences! When I had a manual mill I found it convenient to mount all tools in an R8-->ER40 adapter. Just a few considerations...

Thanks for the reply and food for thought.

I suppose im trying to save on tooling or better save money to be able to afford more tooling.

I had thought that about tool length offset but hadnt even registered about rigidity and reduced Z height.

On the R8 taper (which would be ideal) thats Bridgeport territory which is just too big at the minute for me. I dont think any of the optimum stuff is R8. Are their any good bench top mills running R8 ?

Thanks

The term "good" has a range of meanings but there are numerous manual mills with R8 spindles available in the UK. I've had no personal experience but suppliers such as Chester (MILLING MACHINES) list a variety of R8 capable machines. For example, their Lux, Eagle 30, 626, 830VS and others are available with an R8 spindle.

Why not just stick with an R8 spindle?
    A majority of manual mills use R8, as well as TORMACH.
    I run R8 in my Millrite manual mill, and in my Tormach 770, and my tooling is completely interchangeable between the two.

Do you use TTS in both?

I have a LMS manual mill with tormach's R8 adapter in it and use the TTS on both that and my 1100.

I started using the TTS when I just had the LMS mill because I knew I was moving to a tormach at some point, this saved me a bit and I had a nice stockpile of holders when I got my Tormach.

Do you use TTS in both?
    I could, if need be.
    TTS is nothing more that 3/4" shank tool holders.
    Just use a 3/4" collet for them, and they're completely interchangeable.

I share TTS toolholders with my Tormach 1100 and Rockwell manual mill. Both have R8 spindles.

Don

I would stay far, far away from any machine with a MT3 spindle unless you're talking about a drill press.

I made my own collars for 3/4 inch shank tooling. I made them out of 6061 aluminum and I made the hole in the collar .003 smaller than the 3/4 inch shank on the tool. Then I heat the collar with a propane torch, drop it on to where I want it and then squirt some water on it to cool it.

With a .003 interference fit there's no way that collar is going ip move.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.