586,957 active members*
3,019 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Business Practices > Business Practices / Pricing > Finding REAL tradesmen and talant

Hybrid View

Re: Finding REAL tradesmen and talant

It is almost a dead trade.
    Most C of Q guys are button pushing monkeys or assemblers.
    Most shops are only selling spindle time at cut-rate prices and only hire minimum wagers, this is the beauty of the CNC era (roll eyes). This is why we haven't quoted machining for years.
    The best is to get talented young people out of the local high schools technical program and apprentice them yourself, otherwise you have to steal them from other jobbing shops. If a skilled tradesman is unemployed in my area it usually means they need to change their career path.
    As a multi-trade holder myself, I would likely tell you to pound salt if you asked my to spend a day showcasing my skills. Why should I when there is a line up of places waiting?
    You should probably keep on like you are and remember to use the 3 month probation period. If you are still unsure if that person is a keeper at 3 months it is because they are not and you are just being a nice guy
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Re: Finding REAL tradesmen and talant

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    The best is to get talented young people out of the local high schools technical program and apprentice them yourself,
    I disagree. There are many people out there with university degrees in math, physics, engineering, who can't find work. So you know they are smart. Perhaps they have lost their job, and are a bit older now and would love the opportunity to get into something new.

Of course, if you're only willing to pay minimum wage, then yes, what you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Place2809 View Post
    I'm in eastern Ontario.
    That's too bad. I'm in Southwestern Ontario and looking for work. That's why I asked.