586,974 active members*
2,924 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Yet another new guys intro / beginner project

Threaded View

Smile Yet another new guys intro / beginner project

Well, I've made a post here and there, but I thought that I'd make an official intro to everyone today.

My name is Kevin, I'm a 25 year old firefighter/paramedic, and I have alot of time off between shifts. Woodworking/CAD/CNC all used to be major loves of mine, but after high school I decided that I wanted to get into this field to help people.

As far as my project goes, I am building basically a clone of Yukonho's Project. I am making some design modifications and alterations to suit my space the machine will be going in my garage and my budget. On that note, as far as the budget goes, I have very little. I have a 5 month old daughter that takes alot of my budget so.....I am going to be cutting corners here and there to take some off of the cost. I am going to need a lot of help on the electrical aspect of things, I am going to try to make my own stepper boards and electronics from parts I can scrap/find/or aquire cheap.

I just got my hands on 5 dot matrix printers, 3 are the same (IBM ProPrinter II), an Epson Action Printer 5000+, and (Oops, just noticed the fifth was actually an old fax machine...). I am hoping to maybe scrap some of the parts from these, mainly the motors and slides for the z axis.

I'm going to play this out kind of as a real time, step-by-step, learn as I go and I really look forward to user interaction on your part. I will be the first to admit I'm as new as it gets, and from reading around there is alot of knowledge here to go around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IM1.jpg