586,414 active members*
3,398 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question daily maintence on vf-2

we have a VF-2 that we got at the end of december and i was looking at the maintence section in the manual where it talks about transmission oil, and i can't seem to find where to look for the life of me, we have a 10,000 rpm spindle, could someone help me locate it on the machine, and if anyone could suggest other maintence things i should do regularly i'd appreciate it, we run the machine about 10 hours a day and i love it, last thing i want is an avoidable problem, thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by jprobst View Post
    we have a VF-2 that we got at the end of december and i was looking at the maintence section in the manual where it talks about transmission oil, and i can't seem to find where to look for the life of me, we have a 10,000 rpm spindle, could someone help me locate it on the machine, and if anyone could suggest other maintence things i should do regularly i'd appreciate it, we run the machine about 10 hours a day and i love it, last thing i want is an avoidable problem, thanks so much
    You may not have a transmission. I think the standard VF2 is just belt drive between motor and spindle.

yep, you are right, i feel sheepish, right when i read your post it hit me like a ton of bricks and makes sense, thank you, but i do have one quetion though, in the back of the machine where you fill the lube, there is a little container that says "waste oil" with a spigot, what is that for?

Waste oil like the label says . I suppose you could write it wayste oil because it is the way oil that leaks out of the linear ways and ball screws. The spigot comes out of a thing that is supposed to separate the waste oil from coolant that drains through the way covers. Sometimes it doesn't work and you either get all the waste oil going into the coolant tank or coolant goes into the plastic bottle and overflows and you get waste oil and coolant all over the floor.

I suggest you empty the waste oil daily if you wait for it to be full, when you dump it out is puts out a smell that is very gut wrenching. Not happy trust me.
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

well i haven't had any oil in the container yet, is that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by jprobst View Post
    well i haven't had any oil in the container yet, is that bad?
    Probably not a problem because it takes time for the oil to drain all the way through on a new machine. To check that your lube pump is working you can pull up the plunger on the oil tank at the back of the machine and see that it slowly goes down showing the oil is flowing.

thank you for the help

your tec probley didnt perge the system call them up and have them finish the set up that you paid for from dec to now you should have atlest a cup in there even if you dont use the machine every day

I've seen them go without waste oil in that bottle for 4 months. There is alot of casting area. Way wipes haven't fully soaked up their potential amount. More important is the oil level dropping in the way lube tank? How fast does the pressure go down after pulling up the plunger? It should go down pretty slow. Call them boys back up if needed.

Signed: "one of the boys"