587,047 active members*
3,220 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X2 Conversion Time (shopping time)

X2 Conversion Time (shopping time)

Alright, I am ready to do my shopping for the CNC conversion to the X2. I have it torn completely apart and have given it the total cleaning and tuning up the parts. I finally got the bugs out of it and now she is ready for the job of being converted to CNC.

I need to start shopping for parts. I was thinking of the HobbyCNC board but I am not sure exactly what steppers I should get. Will around 280 in. of torque do the job? also what about the mounts?

I would like to stick with the stock screws if I could for the mean time.

Would it be better if I bought a kit to convert it? I would rather not only because I believe putting this together from pieces will give me a great wealth of knowledge on how it should be and why it has to be that way. I have other projects down the road that I will be fabricating so this is my educational learning curve.

Thanks
    Bill
    Thanks
    Bill

putting it all together yourself will help you learn more about what all's in it, and how to engineer a system like this... but i would say this, what your gonna learn by "doing it the hard way" may be more than what its worth in lost time and expense if you make a mistake... just a thought
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

Hey Bill,
    280 oz in motors should be more than enough torque.
    I only have 190 oz in on mine and haven't had any problem with
    bogging them down. They have more torque at lower rpm so I could just lower the feedrate if they did. Can snap a 3/8 endmill if I push it too hard.
    Good luck Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.com