586,674 active members*
3,210 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

easy 3d cad program?

What do you think is the easiest 3d design CAD program out there? I'm struggling with my current CAD (actually I've tried three). I have this thought that 3d is just plain hard and I need to just keep my nose to the grindstone but still I'd be willing to shell out for something that was a bit more user friendly even if it was less functional, just to learn with a little less frustration.

My vote goes to Rhino.

I've read through the Rhino forum, and the price is tempting. Can you compare it to Acad? Better / worse in terms of ease of use and learning curve.

nervis1

Rhino and AC are different tools for different jobs. They will both do 3D CAD. What would you like the software to do?

Gary

I have tried numerous Cad/Cam programs and this is my conclusion.

My expectations are not always reasonable or accurate and if they are easy they are not complete. There is a required learning curve to get the potential from any of them and they all have issues that will drive you crazy.

M2CW.

Ken

Learning curve definatley has to go to Rhino.
    I have used Autocad and now I own Rhino and for the beginner I still vote for Rhino. If you are purchasing the software out of your own pocket Rhino has the advantage there as well.

I have only used Rhino for 3d, but I have found it very user friendly. You can download a fully functional trial version for free. It only has 25 available saves, but by that time you prolly won't be apprehensive about the cash.
    Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

3D cad

Hello Nervis.
    I have used I-deas, AutoCAD, Rhino, Mechanical Desktop, SolidWorks and some others I don`t remember the name of. Of all these I prefer SolidWorks even if I-deas is more stable. It is not an advantage to have previous AutoCAD experience when working with SW, as it is another way of thinking, and Acad thinking only gets you confused. The good thing about 3D modelling is if you know one, it will take you a short while to learn another program. Get a parametric modeller. This means you can go back and make changes and parts in the assembly updates accordingly. Example: Two plates bolted together, measuring 100x100mm, 10 mm thick, ø15 hole in the middle. You want to change the dims , the thickness and hole dia. In a non parametric modeller you would have to fill the hole, then make a new, add or subract material. In parametric mode, just double click the dimensions, change and it`s done. You can change any parameter, not just the last one. You can swap the parameters. Ex: First you make a hole, then fillet. You find it is more advantageous to fillet first, then make the hole. You just intercange them on the history tree by the mouse cursor. The advantage is obvious when working on parts with many features in an assembly.
    SW is expensive, try Alibre. Have no experience with it, but download a demo. Once you tried 3D, you will never go back to 2D. 3D is not more difficult than 2D, it`s just another way of thinking. Good luck with it!

Regards
    John

Depends if you want to use it for cam or not. We use Solidworks and OneCNC. Onecnc is easier to use than solidworks but solidworks you can do assemblies and it is a parametric model cad. Onecnc you can work in wireframe solids or plain surfaces with built in cam. Design office uses solidworks and we use onecnc for all cnc work because it is easy to use. They have a great support forum and it is brilliant for the cam. 3D has a learning curve but when you know it is easier than 2D especially for cam. We have many files supplied by customers from rhino and we rarely have a problem with them too.

Rhino has great 2D tools too. The only area it is lacking is in advanced drafting tools. You can dimension, but it's no where as good as ACAD is in this area. But in Rhino's defense, most of these tools are available as add-ons or scripts. For example, I wrote an ordinate dimensioning plug-in that works very well in Rhino. I know of another script that adds hatching to Rhino.

I believe I read somewhere that this is an area that will be addressed in Version 4.

Dan

I made the switch from a 2D system to Solidworks, and it was difficult at first. However once I learned the basics of 3D modeling it was a breeze. I would never go back, it's ease of use is amazing.
    Some folks, like blisters, show up after all the work is done.

I use both Rhino & SolidWorks and SolidWorks is hands down the best midrange 3D modeler I've ever used. Rhino has some good surface tools that I use to create or edit surfaces that SolidWorks has a little trouble with, but that is fairly rare. It should be pointed out that SolidWorks is designed primarily as a mechanical engineering application and Rhino is designed for industrial design and even so, SolidWorks holds its own when used as a industrial design tool. If I could afford it, I would rather use Alias or Thinkdesign for my design work.

Oh, whats the easiest to use 3D software? Rhino for design, SolidWorks for everything else.

What is AutoDESK mechanical desktop?
    How does it compare to solidworks or ProEngineer? Which ones have more CAM flexibility?
    -Tei
    -Please check out my webiste-
    http://www.teilhardo.com

Tei,
    Autodesk MDT is Autocad with a lot of added functions. Including parametric dimensions and assembly modeling.

It runs all the 3 party programs written for Autocad. (ie autolisp, vb apps)

While MDT is not as easy to use as Autodesk Inventor or Solidworks (in a lot of ways), it is has more power to manipulate and extract information about the geometry. (my opinion)

I think the cam flexibility (at least on the mid-range cam) would go to Solidworks or Inventor. (I don't know much about ProE)

Bill.

If it is CAM you are looking for, why not look at a CAM package. MasterCam, FeatureCam, and some of the others are great for CAM and they have very good CAD software built in.

Gary

I have Onecnc and Bobcad, I was just looking for a more user friendly 3d design package. I'm learning on my own and finding the curve is steep. I've messed with ACAD and was a bit intimidated. Mastercam is 15k, a little hard to justify at my level.

Rhino or even solidworks is do-able though. I just don't want to shell out the money if they are just as hard to learn and operate.

I appreciate all of your comments, keep em coming. I'm sure I'm not the only one looking.

Have you looked at excalibur? www.excaliburcnc.com

nervis as a old/new user of Rhino I can say if you will spend the time practicing you will love the program. That is what i meant by old/new. I have had the program for a little over a yr and have had very little time to practice. What time I have been able to spend on it has been fruitful though. My biggest problem is trying to find a cams program that I can afford and is simple to use. I have down loaded about everything that I can find that fits those two specs and have only found one so far that seems close but I just hate to give $1000+ for something just to write code with.

I will try Meshcam again when Robert gets waterline or some variable z-depth setup parameters that fit my need.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

I never try Rhino. But I work with and test Autocad, SolidEdge, Inventor, Solidworks, Surfcam Solid and Catia V5. And I the one I like the most is SolidWorks, it's the easiest to learn, the command are more intuitive and he have a lot of good feature to work with... Catia is great to, you can do everything with it, even the CAM section but it's more complicate and the price if you are to buy it is veryyyyyyyyy high.
    That's just my opinion ...

Ron

Nervis1,

From the sample stuff I have seen you working on, I would hazard a guess that Rhino would suit you pretty well, because your stuff is more like art, than common engineered shapes. This is just a guess, because I only do common engineered shapes
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Page 1 of 2 12