586,829 active members*
3,208 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Looking for a site.

Looking for a site.

I am looking for a site to find small used cnc machinery for sale. Ebay is OK, but does anyone know of some other sites that I can search for machines. I tried the classifieds here, and haven't really found what I want. I don't really want to get into a CNC retrofit because I fear I will get in way over my head on the electronics. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by cybrhick View Post
    I am looking for a site to find small used cnc machinery for sale. Ebay is OK, but does anyone know of some other sites that I can search for machines. I tried the classifieds here, and haven't really found what I want. I don't really want to get into a CNC retrofit because I fear I will get in way over my head on the electronics. Any ideas?
    What type of machines are you looking for and what do you have to spend?

MILLS LATHES EDM's???? Industrial????Hobby????What is your work size envelope???
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    What type of machines are you looking for and what do you have to spend?

MILLS LATHES EDM's???? Industrial????Hobby????What is your work size envelope???
    OK, sorry. I guess that info would help, huh?

Looking for a mill first, but will need a late shortly thereafter. Looking on the hobby end to get started. Most of my work will be under 6"x6"x2". Mostly simple cnc work, and no need for a 4t axis at present, but tat capability may be needed later. Material will be mostly 6061 Aluminum, but will need to be able to run some 1018 on ocassion. My budget is very small, hence the reason I am looking at used.

OK, sorry. I guess that info would help, huh?

Looking for a mill first, but will need a late shortly thereafter. Looking on the hobby end to get started. Most of my work will be under 6"x6"x2". Mostly simple cnc work, and no need for a 4t axis at present, but tat capability may be needed later. Material will be mostly 6061 Aluminum, but will need to be able to run some 1018 on ocassion. My budget is very small, hence the reason I am looking at used.

You could see if HAAS has a Office Mill that was used as a Demo at a trade show.

http://www.haascnc.com/VMC_MODEL_OM.asp#VMCTreeModel

This is a perfect size for you and it runs on 110 Volts:rainfro:
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

You could see if HAAS has a Office Mill that was used as a Demo at a trade show.

http://www.haascnc.com/VMC_MODEL_OM.asp#VMCTreeModel

This is a perfect size for you and it runs on 110 Volts:rainfro:
    That is so totally sweet. That is exactly what I am looking for down the line when money becomes less tight. Right now I am trying to stay toward the hobby end, and keep my cost down under $5000. I don't need the auto tool changer or any of that yet. I'm willing to make some convenience sacrifices in order to get an inexpensive starter machine.

That is so totally sweet. That is exactly what I am looking for down the line when money becomes less tight. Right now I am trying to stay toward the hobby end, and keep my cost down under $5000. I don't need the auto tool changer or any of that yet. I'm willing to make some convenience sacrifices in order to get an inexpensive starter machine.
    I thought that was SWEET too. I figured I would put one in a closet in our apartment until the old lady heard me on the phone with HAAS asking about how quiet the machine was. She didn't like that too much, LOL:nono: . Being a Machinist seems to be more of a sickness than a job, LOL.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

I thought that was SWEET too. I figured I would put one in a closet in our apartment until the old lady heard me on the phone with HAAS asking about how quiet the machine was. She didn't like that too much, LOL:nono: . Being a Machinist seems to be more of a sickness than a job, LOL.
    Yea, for those of us that truely love it, it is. There are many who merely do it for the money, but the choice few do it for the thrill of designing and making something of our own. I had to fight hard to get the single garage bay that my shop consists of, but it has allowed me to build a beginning to the company that will hopefully be my last job. But the time has come to go from manual to CNC and I have to start in baby steps.

Yea, for those of us that truely love it, it is. There are many who merely do it for the money, but the choice few do it for the thrill of designing and making something of our own. I had to fight hard to get the single garage bay that my shop consists of, but it has allowed me to build a beginning to the company that will hopefully be my last job. But the time has come to go from manual to CNC and I have to start in baby steps.
    Well, we have a way to make a living. We may not be rich, but it is a living. Quality has taken a sharp drop for the worst IMO.

This is one of the few places in the world that Machining and Machinist are appreciated. I am at least thankful for that. We are the unsong heros of the world. Without us the Manufacturing World would come to a Screeching Hault.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Well, we have a way to make a living. We may not be rich, but it is a living. Quality has taken a sharp drop for the worst IMO.

This is one of the few places in the world that Machining and Machinist are appreciated. I am at least thankful for that. We are the unsong heros of the world. Without us the Manufacturing World would come to a Screeching Hault.
    Preach it brother. My bussiness revolves around the motorcycle industry, and I have noticed that the large companies have sacrificed the fine quality of a finished product for the high numbers of mass sales. They use cheap, improper material and manufacturing processes, and often lie to the customer about the manufacturing process, knowing that most won't know the difference anyway.

Preach it brother. My bussiness revolves around the motorcycle industry, and I have noticed that the large companies have sacrificed the fine quality of a finished product for the high numbers of mass sales. They use cheap, improper material and manufacturing processes, and often lie to the customer about the manufacturing process, knowing that most won't know the difference anyway.

Cheers !!!!!!!!!:cheers: :rainfro:
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

OK, I will leave you 2 alone in this room :banana: :banana:
    Good luck on your journey, I also have considered gettn me one of them closet mills!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
    WILLwork4money

Quote Originally Posted by WILLwork4money View Post
    OK, I will leave you 2 alone in this room :banana: :banana:
    Good luck on your journey, I also have considered gettn me one of them closet mills!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Did your better half flip too!!!!!
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

I haven't told her, I'll wait for her to find out one day when she goes into my side of the "Walk In Closet" to hang my clothes and sees it running unmanned!

she will go nuts, too late now!!!
    WILLwork4money