586,999 active members*
2,974 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Partial screen freeze

Hey everyone, sorry for the vague title but I don't really know what to call this. The best way I can describe it is to show it. In the video, I had already clicked start (3/4" plug in collet). Notice the information section hasn't updated but the program started. However the tool path is showing in the view section:

https://youtu.be/1J9MyrYMx00

Has anyone seen this before?

I've been trying to reliably duplicate it and I think I now can. Here is what I've done.

1. It just started doing this the other day after a long time on v1.9.3
    2. Updated to v1.9.7 last night. It still gave me problems so I went back to v1.9.3. Ran ok until I went to sleep.
    3. Ran fine this morning until it sat for awhile. Then lower lockup. Upgrade back to v1.9.7, reboot and all is fine. Until it sat then lockup.

So it seems that I still have control (sort of). I can press start and the current program will run if it's single tool. If there are tool changes, it will run if Break is disabled but you can't change tools.

When it reboots, I get this when PP starts (I had already clicked a few before thinking of recording it):

https://youtu.be/YM02CjCX4_Q

It's all the tools from the last program that runs before reboot.

I'm not really sure what this is or where to start looking for this problem. I'm not really a Linux guy so that's a problem too. I've left my machine sit for hours before and never had a problem but now this seems to trigger it. The machine seems to run fine so I don't think it's the mill. I plan to contact Tormach and show them the videos but thought someone here may know. If not it's here for the future.

Thanks for looking.

Re: Partial screen freeze

Wow that's odd man. I haven't had anything like that happen here. Is your PC power supply starting to go? Wish I could help, but I haven't seen that animal before. Good job recording the tracks of the beast in case someone can relate!

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    Wow that's odd man. I haven't had anything like that happen here. Is your PC power supply starting to go? Wish I could help, but I haven't seen that animal before. Good job recording the tracks of the beast in case someone can relate!
    I don't think it's the power supply since everything else seems to work. I can click through all the menus on the top, I can set offsets, I can load programs etc...it's the bottom of the screen that locks up.

I found out that the machine sitting does not do this like I thought. After rebooting last night, I loaded up the last program, set all my zeros and it was locked again. I was able to finish my parts since it was a single tool operation, but there was some serious pucker factor as it ran for the first time.

I'm going to reinstall PP this morning to see if that helps. Maybe something just went wonky.

May the force be with you!

I reinstalled PathPilot yesterday and upgraded it to 1.9.7. I don't think this is a version issue so I went with the latest.

This seemed to fix it...for awhile. I'm in contact with Tormach, but they don't seem to know what the problem could be. I don't think it's a cable issue, power issue or memory issue. The problem is too centralized and I would think any of those three things would cause more issues than I'm seeing.

I'm leaning towards it being a bad controller card, but I don't know enough about this to say for sure. I'll wait until I hear back from Tormach this coming week.

I'm running an old set of whitebox hardware on mine and when I have super long program with 3D surfacing or similar, my DROs stop updating. This is a "good" thing because the real-time OS is taking over and ensuring accurate motion control, while keeping screen updates as a low-priority job.

I haven't tried this myself, but it would be worthwhile:
    • Try ctrl+alt+x to pull up a shell and run "top" - this command will give a periodic update of system resources. Some things to check: System load at the top x,y,z (you can Google how to read it, but basically its 1-minute, 5-minutes, 15-minutes aggregate of all system load including I/O).
    • Also, check your I/O wait, I wouldn't expect this to be much over 0, but if so, then your hard disk / USB stick might be dying, but I believe PathPilot pre-caches the entire g-code file to memory. Anything over 0 for any amount of time is bad, this means the CPU is spinning in circles waiting on I/O devices with high latency.
    • Check to see if any process are pegged at 100% for CPU or memory in the list.

(Note: "q" quits, then type "exit" to exit to prompt)

Good luck!