586,647 active members*
2,147 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sherline backlash

Hey Gang,
    I have an old "Pointer on the backlash star" Sherline that I converted to CNC, and only recently started to use, but I have a HUGE issue with backlash in both the X and Y directions. I've tightened the preload nuts, I've adjusted the backlash nuts as tight as I can, I even took the mill apart to tighten the saddle nuts, but I'm still seeing .029 backlash in the X, and .020 in the Y, so I'm assuming I'm doing SOMETHING wrong. Can anyone give me some pointers in this one?

Re: Sherline backlash

May be semantics, and I've not built a shirline, but 'tight' = backlash. Loose equals less backlash but less rigidity and more vibration. Loosen the gibs (or whatever it has). Oil all sliding parts. Measure backlash. Tighten a hair. Measure again, rinse and repeat. Thers is a curve where it goes from more to less to more again. Back off back to the minimum. That's the best u get without modification like alignments, scraping etc.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The Sherlines are good machines but they will take some fidgeting. Then when you get it right, it will go out of adjustment again. It always seemed easy to get into the .004-.007 or so backlash.
    I used Moglice on the X and got it down to sub .001 but havent used it since (I dont trust the stuff but have no reason to feel that way). I have also purchased very small precision leadscrews with anti backlash nuts. At this time I havent figured out how to use them due to space constraints. Maybe in time.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Figured it out. I had assembled it YEARS (like over a decade) ago, never used it. Well, the preload nuts were on BACKWARDS, so they were bearing on the coupling, instead of the bearing inner race, so no preload - Ooops

Patience is required ;-)
    A lazy man does it twice.