586,452 active members*
2,988 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > CNC Wire Foam Cutter Machines > Recommendations Modify cnc router for foam

Recommendations Modify cnc router for foam

Hi guys, Im after some info if anyone can help out I would appreciate it. Wish to profile cut shapes into foam, I have my own cnc router and have attempted it with a stard single sided router bit. It cuts but leaves a burred or frosted edge. I would like to get a smooth neat cut. Recommendations for tooling or a hot cutter adapted , has anyone got any ideas for me.
    Anything would be appreciated
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0861.JPG  

Just wondering about the foam you're using. There are some real high quality foams available used for prototyping - that give a very fine finish. REN-Board is something that comes to mind - try a google on it - you can get (used to anyway) a sample pack to try the various densities and even a small hunk of machine (blue) wax.
    Might check the speed and feed or the cutting tool you are using. Hope thats all helpful.
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Thanks for the feedback, Im using the hardest foam I can find and am routing the item now with an 8 flute cutter and it seems to come up fairly okay not perfect but definetly acceptable. If anyone knows of purpose made router bits for foam can they let me know
    It would bve appreciated
    Steve

foam milling

Hi , SIMSO ,
    there is some to chek.
    http://www.zeim.de/schaumbearbeitung.html
    If you do understand german would be OK, if not - tools are made for use with "handy" machines , but should work also with your CNC. If You need some more informations you can contact me , I have made some by myself - the price is nasty at ZEIM.

Hi , SIMSO ,
    there is some to chek.
    http://www.zeim.de/schaumbearbeitung.html
    If you do understand german would be OK, if not - tools are made for use with "handy" machines , but should work also with your CNC. If You need some more informations you can contact me , I have made some by myself - the price is nasty at ZEIM.

Smile for foam cutting

Hey There,
    I am also cutting large amounts of foam with aa cnc machine. I have had your problem before many times. Mine was resolved in two ways. First, I got a drill bit that was specifically designed to cut foam. It was hard to find for me but i found from a company name ONSRUD. If you know of any other let me know. Also another big issue was my cutting speed and travel speed. It took me long time to adjust that. Comes with experimenting. Also, if you look at what you are cutting, if the drill bit is not designed for foam then you will have a perfect smooth going in one direction, and you will get the rough edge when the drill bit is coming back.
    I hope this helps
    Kerim

there is a company name ONSRUD,
    I buy my bids from them. they are pretty decent in foam cutting
    i think they have a catalog on their web page