587,033 active members*
3,566 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Sprutcam 4th Axis Rotating Fixtures

Sprutcam 4th Axis Rotating Fixtures

Wanted to see if anybody has a work around for this.

I'm very new to Sprutcam and I have been setting up template to include fixtures, 4th axis & rotary table, etc. While testing out the templates and the 4th axis I noticed when I rotate the part 90 deg the tailstock rotates 90 deg with it. I know the tailstock isn't really necessary to have in the program but being so new at this I really want to have the collision detection for it. Attached are a few images of what I am seeing. I've tried a few things such as rotating the tailstock back while in a new operation but this is not working.

I have a call in with Tormach, but so far no answers. Any ideas how to get around this?

Thanks

Re: Sprutcam 4th Axis Rotating Fixtures

- What version of SprutCAM?
    - Which machine model version are you using?
    - Is the tailstock part of your "workpiece" or is it placed in the "fixtures" section? (I've not used the tailstock in SprutCAM, so I have not seen this problem)

My guess is that you can put the tailstock model in the same section as the body of the 4th axis table, then they will stay put when the face of the 4th axis is indexed to a new location.

--Bryan

I have found no way to use complete tailstock fixture models with 4th axis. I use a model of the live center combined with and a basic cylinder model extending from it that approximates the actual tailstock fixture size.

Bryan,

I'm using Version 10, I have updated it to the latest version and also updated the machine definition. I have imported the tailstock into the fixture layer within the model tab. It seems that the 4th axis is somehow in the machine definition or schema. I have not found a way of editing that, I think at one time they did have a program that would allow you to create your own machine so I might have to look for that.

Mountaindew,

Thanks for that tip! I ended up just modeling the center and made a circular envelope about 1" behind it the tip of the center. I tried it out this weekend and everything worked perfectly. Just wanted to make sure that the machine wouldn't rapid into the tailstock, that would be my luck.

Thanks for the help Guys.

Eric