586,643 active members*
2,811 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > 440 can't come out of E-Stop again, Leadshine burnout, again!

Unhappy 440 can't come out of E-Stop again, Leadshine burnout, again!

So couple of months ago I replaced Leadshine which burned out. Today for the first time since then I had to use E-Stop on machine and I think Leadshine burned out again! Machine can't REF anything it just triggers the limit switch and it stays there and goes into the E-Stop mode. Just like first time Leadshine burned out.

Anyone else with this problem? Is there anything that can be done short of replacing Leadshine again? This is really unacceptable if using E-Stop bricks the machine. And I have again project I have to finish this next week...

This really stinks.

Re: 440 can't come out of E-Stop again, Leadshine burnout, again!

Is leadshine the name of the E stop switch?? If you 'think' the estop burned out just test it and replace it.

You can have another stop button today from McMaster Carr. The wires either connected or not you can literally wire it to a light switch and it will still run and finish your product

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

coffeetek,

You description is pretty vague, but I assume your talking about Leadshine stepper drivers? The most common reason a machine goes into e-stop is EMI noise. Is your spindle running or is everything turned off and it will just not reset. If this happens instantly and you are not running the spindle the most common issue is something in the estop circuit. This is normally an input to the BOB for your system. You need to measure the input and determine if it is activated or not. The other thing is to examine the configuration on the software. Are you running Mach3 on the 440? Need a little more info to point you in the right direction.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    ...This is normally an input to the BOB for your system. ... Are you running Mach3 on the 440? Need a little more info to point you in the right direction.
    1. Tormach 440 doesn't have a Break Out Board. It uses the Leadshine MX3660, which is kind of an "all in one" solution which incorporates BOB and stepper drivers into one package. It is a new product, and as the OP will tell you, really doesn't seem ready for prime time. Tormach has already switched out the first generation models on the machines they sold when they found they are ALL defective.
    2. This is on the Tormach forum, and is a Tormach 440, which is only offered with "PathPilot", an adaption of LinuxCNC.

Back OT: this actually could be a problem where an axis is driven past the limit switch position, and so won't move. Is one of the axis all the way to one extent?

You can physically move the axis back. Take the cover off the coupling between the stepper motor and the lead screw, and (with the machine powered off) turn the lead screw by hand. It might turn easier if you use a section of rubber or leather belt, but you should be able back it off the end. Then once it is in the middle, power the machine on and move the axis using the keyboard. Then reference the axis. If it gets stuck again, then maybe the limit switch is bad.

If that isn't the issue, with the machine powered up, and e-stop disengaged, what is the status of the red and green LED by each stepper motor cable connection?
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Additionally in PathPilot you can test the limit switch problems by going to the parameters menu and hitting the disable reference switches check box. I had to do this when my Series II 1100 had a limit switch that bit the dust yet I needed to keep producing. It works really well. You can even move the axis manually to a comfortable distance from the physical stop and press the reference button and path pilot will treat that point as the soft limit for the axis when you have the physical limit switches disabled.

Thank you guys for suggestions. I am up and running again. How? Nobody knows. After about 24 hour rest I was able to bring machine back online. You can bet this will happen again, I think its just question of time before controller burns up in smoke (last one literally went up in smoke!)

So how this problem manifests itself is that you E-Stop machine while its cutting. After that you shut everything down as per procedure, reboot, and when you go to ref the axis, any axis, the machine trips the limit switch and it stays there and triggers E-Stop. You Reset it, try to move it back off of the limit switch using jog dial, you move it little bit and that triggers another E-Stop. And so it goes whatever you do...

Tormach is aware that using E-Stop on 440 might burn out controller. That's why I did not use it unit now, I knew about it and avoided it like a plaque.

I am pretty confident that this Leadshine controller will burn out, just question of time. Probably sooner if I use E-Stop. :-(

So you are saying when you hit e-stop you were nowhere near an axis limit?

Very strange. Looking at the manual schematic, I see that e-stop doesn't actually secure power to the controller, it just opens the "e-stop" contacts to tell the MX3660 firmware to do whatever e-stop action it assumes is appropriate. Apparently there is some firmware bug that doesn't bring it out of e-stop completely when you return the e-stop switch to normal.

Next time you have to e-stop, I would recommend shutting off power to the machine with the barrel switch, return the e-stop switch to normal, then restore power. Maybe that would reset whatever faulty logic is in the MX3660.

Of course, then you need to reference you axis and touch off your part again to establish workpiece zero.

I am assuming that you aren't following the 440 manual instructions to hit e-stop prior to powering off the machine?
    Tim

Yes, I am following the power off and power on procedure for Tormach manual to a T. That does not create problem. What does create problem is if you E-Stop while machine is running your program. That messes it up.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeetek View Post
    Yes, I am following the power off and power on procedure for Tormach manual to a T. That does not create problem. What does create problem is if you E-Stop while machine is running your program. That messes it up.
    Maybe the e-stop its setting some flag in the firmware and not clearing it, so performing a normal power-down, power-up might solve that problem. Next time you estop, power down with the barrel switch for one minute, then perform your normal power up sequence. Worth a try.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Maybe the e-stop its setting some flag in the firmware and not clearing it, so performing a normal power-down, power-up might solve that problem. Next time you estop, power down with the barrel switch for one minute, then perform your normal power up sequence. Worth a try.
    That's how I did it first time... I am extremely careful around e-stop procedure just because I know that Leadshine controller has problem with that. I am up and running now, but staying away from that E-Stop button! How ridiculous is that!? :-)

Dennis...
    What you explain may be close to normal behavior.

1st the Estop: Use only to prevent blood. You know: emergency, like emergency room. All control systems have a pause operation, learn to use it. In any case when an estop is triggered while moving it is considered to be an electronic catastrophe. Usually requires reboot of the control software, and in many cases the computer and control box too. Pause is your best friend here.

Second the power system: In most cases when an estop is hit, power is removed from the drives. When the machine is in motion the steppers become generators pumping DC back into the drives. AKA "Back EMF" This surge of power will in most cases let the magic smoke out of the drives, and as you know, they wont run once it get out!

Leadshine has a white paper on the addition of a cap or cap bank that addresses this problem, as do most mfgr's. These should be used anywhere less costly power supplies are used, and especially where you have an operator that loves the estop.
    Gary Campbell CNC Technology & Training
    GCnC411 (at) gmail.com www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos