586,357 active members*
3,787 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

shadow cnc error

All,
    I’m tring to help a friend out. He has a supermax mill with a shadow cnc control. I can get the control to do drill cycles , rapids and profiles in the x y axis. I have read the doc’s and understand arcs and how they work in quadrants and how the arc centers are defined by /x/y , but every time I do a arc I get an error 26 (POWER FAILURE DETECTED A DIVIDE BY ZERO ERROR OR A TRIPPED WATCHDOG ERROR ). I may have a coding error , but I have tried the examples in the doc and get the same error for 90 deg arcs , full
    Circles and partial arcs.

Anyone seen this error ?

I've run a couple of Shadows for a few years. Cannot say I have seen that error.

Are you generating the code with the assistance of CAM software? I ask, because the Shadow is fussy about arc center accuracy and it has to be calculated 'dead nuts on' or it will protest.

Also, I believe if you are working in absolute coordinates (G90 mode) then, the arc centers must be described in absolute coordinates. No mixing absolute XY with incremental IJ, which most other controllers can do.

AFAIK, Shadow can use IJ directly, or it will translate the arc code that way when importing it. No need to fuss with /X and /Y for arc centers.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

the book did say the end point of the arc has to be within .0001 so i did a simple
    .25 arc to avoid rounding errors. Did also read after the fact that if you program offline I and J are good.

here's the code i used for a .25 arc at x .25 y .25

G90
    /X0./Y1.
    /Z.1
    F20.
    Z0.
    Y.25
    X.25Y0./X.25/Y.25
    X1.
    /Z.1

I do not see a problem with that code.
    Did you try replacing the /X and /Y with I and J respectively?

Make sure cutter radius compensation is cancelled. I like to have a G40 and a G80 at the start of the program as a safety to ensure that sometimes one forgets to cancel these modes.

Other than that, you might have to put in a call to Albright's CNC to figure out if you have a board problem of some sort.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)