586,655 active members*
3,899 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

440 Power Drawbar

I guess I got spoiled with the PDB on my 1100 and when I got the 440 I had to whip one up. If you want one shoot me an e-mail.

There no drilling or modifying anything on the machine. Comes assembled, can be installed very quickly and easily.

[email protected]

Re: 440 Power Drawbar

This looks awesome man! Great work! What do they cost?

Quote Originally Posted by extdrive View Post
    This looks awesome man! Great work! What do they cost?
    Thanks bud, I should have it shipped in about ten days if you want one, $750 shipped. @extdrive

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

How does it attach to the spindle head? It looks like there are 2 Socket Head Cap screws. If so are they intended to be tightened or left loose so it can float vertically?

I run the factory PDB in my 1100 sold mounted, I made a little bracket that holds it tight to the casting because I got sick of the cockeyed, floppy halfasses floating setup. It really got on my nerves. For that reason I hard mounted the new one for the 440 at first, but I have it floating now, it works perfectly either way, the kit will come hardware to mount it either way you like. Also comes with a really nice SCS foot petal, as well as the track (like the 1100 has) to run the air lines thru, it's big enough to run a couple other wires as well if you want to run a spindle light our anything else in the track as well. The way it's mount, it's not floppy and it's supported all the way around, not like the factory 1100 PDB, so it's really nice floating, no real need to sold mount it, I was just worried it may be (because I have dealt with the 1100 for a long time now) so that's how I did it first.

Here's a quickie video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4c97fm59d6...20PDB.mp4?dl=0

If the cylinder is rigidly attached to the spindle casting doesn't that put force on the spindle bearings when the PDB is actuated? What is the required air pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    If the cylinder is rigidly attached to the spindle casting doesn't that put force on the spindle bearings when the PDB is actuated?
    Even if the draw bar is "floating", it still is applying the same differential pressure between the top of the spindle housing and the drawbar.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I'm confused. At least on my 770 PDB, the Belleville washers are squeezed between the bottom of the piston of the pneumatic cylinder and a large washer which normally rests on the top of the spindle. There is no force applied to the spindle bearings. The whole pneumatic cylinder assembly "floats" to accommodate the squeezing of the washers. It seems to me if the cylinder were rigidly attached to the spindle housing the downward force on the drawbar would also be pressing on the spindle bearings. Perhaps the force is not a problem but Tormach went to considerable trouble to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Even if the draw bar is "floating", it still is applying the same differential pressure between the top of the spindle housing and the drawbar.
    Accurate.

Agreed. The force between the pneumatic cylinder and the spindle housing is the same. The issue is the force on the spindle bearings rather than the spindle housing. With a floating arrangement there is little force on the bearings.

Agreed. The force between the pneumatic cylinder and the spindle housing is the same. The issue is the force on the spindle bearings rather than the spindle housing. With a floating arrangement there is little force on the bearings.
    With the floating arrangement, the only force on the spindle bearings is the weight of the floating portion of the PDB. Without the floating arrangement, when the PDB is "energized", the full force of the air cylinder is pushing down on the spindle bearings. For the Tormach PDBs, this means as much as 2500+ pounds pushing down on the spindle bearings.

Regards,
    Ray L.

It works exactly like the stock 1100 PDB does. It doesn't put any weight on the spindle bearings it has a plate that pulls up on the flange that's attached to the spindle nut, (the part I'm touching in this picture)

That's the "floating" part.

Do you have any pull-out issues since you're only using the one cylinder?

Quote Originally Posted by mattz0r View Post
    Do you have any pull-out issues since you're only using the one cylinder?
    Nope, and I push pretty dam hard. I only use the best coated evenings I can get my hands on and I push as hard add they will go. I'm using the same Belleville washers that I use on my 1100. (I replaced my 1100 just for srtandard maintenance). I certainly wouldn't be offering it to anyone else if it wasn't bulletproof. The last thing I want to do is pass on problems to anyone, It's been great.

So the unit is not rigidly attached to the spindle casting? I was confused by your earlier comment that it was not floating. I apologize if I've confused things even more!

So the unit is not rigidly attached to the spindle casting? I was confused by your earlier comment that it was not floating. I apologize if I've confused things even more!
    No worries my friend, I'm interested in everyone's input, if there's a better way to make anything I would always want to do it. I did originally have it setup, and I'm still going to include hardware for, hard mounting it or floating it. Reason being; I hard mounted my 1100 because I didn't like how it floats, it kicks it up and cocks it to the side, I hated that, so I my idea was to give everyone the option to go either way but the reality is that the way I made the plate for the 440 there really is no slop, it mounted by both ends, unlike the 1100 that mounts like crap from the factory. Unnecessary probably but ended the heck I think.

Everyone will probably just float it and forget about it, that's what I did.

If the 1100 PDB is the same as the one for the 770, there are adjustment setscrews on each side. With a little fiddly adjustment it will move straight up/down without cocking to the side. I recently got annoyed enough to adjust them properly! I don't have a 440 but your unit looks very nicely made. Is there a control board that interlocks things with the VFD as with the 770 unit?

Yeah I have the set screw "post, leg kinda thingy" but it sucks, I was very happy to go away from that setup on the 440.

Here's the power and the track that comes with the PDB. I'm including a nice foot petal as well but they won't be here for a few days. I have seen them in person, I found them at the fabtec convention in Las Vegas .

Looks good! I need some of that track for my machine...

The track is cheap, but it's really nice, like twenty bucks. I get it off of Amazon, it's a nice closed box, as opposed to the open style one from Tormach, and I got the one that's a little bigger, not much, but large enough to run something else thru as well if anyone wants to.

Page 1 of 3 123