586,655 active members*
3,786 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: 440 Power Drawbar

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Congrats. That's awesome.

I would suggest that you offer Tormach to let them sell your drawbar (which is how some of their other mill accessories came into existence), except I am sure that they already have a design in the works from the company that makes their other PDB. Hopefully for you, it will be as slow coming to the market as many of their other accessories.
    Hmmm. It would be easy for them to just have me drop shop them. Maybe I will ask them. I've gotta call them up anyways to try to figure out some stupid little bugs in my 1100 software.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"Hopefully for you, it will be as slow coming to the market as many of their other accessories."

Like the 5C auto collet closer for the lathe.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by tbev View Post
    Hmmm. It would be easy for them to just have me drop shop them. Maybe I will ask them. I've gotta call them up anyways to try to figure out some stupid little bugs in my 1100 software.
    That is where the ATC comes from. Z-Bot (briefly) sold a table mounted ATC for use of X3 mills that people had converted to CNC. Tormach must have liked what they saw, because Z-Bot discontinued them and then started making the Tomrach tool changer about a year later. Z-bot makes the tool changers in house in Austin, TX.

Same story with the 1100 enclosure. Jeremy Kliewer of MTLWRX in Tennessee designed it, started selling them here on cnczone and on eBay, then offered it to Tormach and they partnered with him.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...6-tormach.html
    https://www.tormach.com/blog/finally...100-enclosure/
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I knew about the ATC, but not the enclosure. Thanks for the info.

Nothing is immune from pullout. You could weld the tool holder directly to the spindle and it still wouldn't be some magic structure that is immune to failure. Also, with enough caveats added to the claim, anything can be immune from pullout. "This 3D printed drawbar will never allow pullout! *as long as you stay within the limitations of the drawbar" There is a reason the large tooling manufacturers have continuously developed different holding strategies, and it's not because they aren't able to come up with the idea of "let's crank up the draw force".

Sorry I haven't posted this video until now, I'm in the middle of a big run and I haven't had time to do much of anything else.

This is with the PDB adjusted to be able to release the tool holder at the lowest possible air pressure setting, right before my compressor kicks on. With a 5/8in endmill with about 4in of sick out it's enough to stall the mill without pulling out. In normal operating conditions, the holding power will be over double what you see in this video.

Click link below to watch video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7euwn23w0...t%203.mp4?dl=0

wow, that endmill has got a lot of stick-out. I don't think I have any that long (although I might, since I haven't bought an endmill in years.... I chanced upon a gentleman who was retiring and moving into an apartment, and bought a mill from him and he gave me drawer fulls of brand-new endmills as well as a bunch of other good stuff.... a real cinderella story...)

If I did, I wouldn't use it much, since that much stick-out can increase deflection, chattering, and reduce accuracy.
    Tim

I think he was just trying to get it to chatter. You would definitely want to do a spring pass or three with such a long stick-out.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I think he was just trying to get it to chatter. You would definitely want to do a spring pass or three with such a long stick-out.
    Haha, yeah I use that to make battery holes for vaporizers. The holes I make with it are 0.75 diameter 3.85in. deep, the key is to keep it top loaded real hard, ramping down pretty aggressively, I do that hole, blind, in about a minute and a half, little less.
    Anyways, yeah that was just to get some chatter, nobody is ever going to do anything that nasty with a 440, just wanted to show that my PDB has more than enough holding power.

I just wanted to give everyone a little bit of an update. I shipped the first ten or so kits out and everyone is happily using their power drawbars. Putting an end to manual tool changes is a nice way to start the new year off. There are some videos other than mine of the PDB in use if anyone want to see them they can take a look at Sandhill CNC and Meezermods to name a few . Both really cool channels on YouTube and Instagram. There will also be an additional install video that's more in depth than mine coming soon.

If your still waiting on your or want a status update feel free to shoot me an email directly, that's the quickest way to catch me.

[email protected]

congrats on your success!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    congrats on your success!
    Thanks bud, much appreciated, I'm happy I am able to do it. Manual tool changes really suck.

Ordering parts for this week's PDB's tomorrow, if anyone wants one now's the time!

Page 3 of 3 123