586,645 active members*
2,851 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC benchtop punch-press

I have been looking for over three days now, and search has helped to no avail. I have seen on here, in some long-forgotten post, a link to a small benchtop CNC punch-press. It is blue in color and has an XY table to move the part. If anyone can help...please.

I believe this is the one you are looking for:

http://aircastle.biz/

Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

Interesting concept. has anyone used this tool, I dont see the ram is controlled it appears to position and you must pull the ram manually.

I see a project comming on... using a strippit C punch and pnuematic ram with a xy table!!!!!

Bob

Hi Bob,
    Not sure how many have tried it. I have planned on making a small home-shop CNC punch something similar to the Amada SP-30, but have modified the idea thinking a Roper-Witney type kickpunch would be a good foundation, and it allows for larger tooling to be bolstered and hands free to move the blank as it is foot actuated. Have not done any drawings yet, but I am anxious to add a cnc punch to my home shop. Your idea sounds good too, and in some ways will probably be a quicker build with less initial cost. Keep us posted if you do make it!
    Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

I see a couple of drawbacks. One is the throat depth but that may not be helped due to the force needed to punch. and second a pneumatic may only be able to punch thin material up to say 18 ga. may be all that is needed in this type of machine. I havent seen the punching setups you mentioned but will google around.

Bob

Here is the original one I saw:

I did a brief write up on my blog here:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm

Best,

BW

PS If you're having trouble finding the write up because this post is old, search the blog for 9/14/08!

Hi Bob,
    Here are some pictures of the Amada SP-30 in a link to an eBay auction for one. I had one in my area of the Precision sheetmetal shop I used to work for and it is a very versatile small punch with programmable G-code with almost all the patterns available to the bigger Amada turret pucnhes. It is not as fast as the turret punches and for the most part the patterns are done with single hits but an excellent machine for prototypes and awkward things like punching hinge and modifying parts and making fixtures etc.

eBay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SP-30-AMADA-29-T...QQcmdZViewItem

I don't imagine the machine I end up building will have anything close to the capabilities of the SP-30 but will provide CNC punching for most of the stuff I would want to make in my small garage shop anyway.

Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

That Amada looks pretty fancy.

Out of curiousity, what do you plan to make with your punch? I've never really messed with one.

Cheers,

BW

I work as a CNC turret punch operator at a precision sheetmetal shop and have been doing sheetmetal work for over 30yrs so I would use a CNC punch in my home shop for all sorts of sheetmetal fabrication. Most thinner(usually up to .25") gauge parts that may be made by machining can be made much faster with a punching operation. While I already have a CNC mill(Syil SX3) and have made the Gingery series of metal working machines including metal lathe, horizontal miller, and metal shaper, a CNC punch will add a lot to my shops current capabilities. It is not a necessity but since I have a lot of punch experience(including die-setting on up to 600 ton presses) I am inclined to want a little bit more than just the bench mounted hand punch I currently have.
    I am currently building a CNC router with about a 12" x 24" capacity so the CNC punch will have to wait till the router is done, but I am starting the sketches and will have the plans for the CNC punch worked out by the time I'm ready to start on it. As with most people I have limited cash to work with so it sometimes takes me a bit longer to get these projects finished. I try to fabricate whatever I can from scratch and even make my own castings from aluminum when it is a good work around for the lack of materials or is a better construction method. Oops, sorry for the long post.
    Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

A new thread regarding punch press

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...ress_head.html

Re: CNC benchtop punch-press