586,594 active members*
2,876 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > 4th axis, Rhino, BobCad and Mach3

4th axis, Rhino, BobCad and Mach3

Hi to all,

I have a Taig CNC with 4th axis. I try to "cut" this design but I don't know how setup 4th axis. I try conversion Y to A but in Mach3 I receive a strange image (I use Mach3 postpocessor on BobCad). So any idea?

TIA
    Gb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ring.jpg  

I've never used a 4th axis but looking at your picture I would have thought the X should be converted to the 4th axis?

Quote Originally Posted by gabi68 View Post
    Hi to all,

I have a Taig CNC with 4th axis. I try to "cut" this design but I don't know how setup 4th axis. I try conversion Y to A but in Mach3 I receive a strange image (I use Mach3 postpocessor on BobCad). So any idea?

TIA
    Gb
    You need to Rotate your part so the 4th Axis is allong the X Axis. Then Convert the $th Axis to Rotate around the X Axis.

BTW: Nice Part!!!!!!:rainfro:
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Toby
    Why does the part need to be rotated, couldn't the 4th Axis be set along the Y Axis?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Toby
    Why does the part need to be rotated, couldn't the 4th Axis be set along the Y Axis?
    It could be if you have enough room in the Y-Axis travel. Most consider it common practice to place the 4th Axis in the X. This allows for longer parts to be place in the 4th as well. With a Tail Stock Center at the other end respectively.

Gabi68

Sorin Nenu is from Romania and he is the official BCC Trainer. This is his website http://cadcamtrainer.com/forums/index.php

Register and login. PM tjones or sorincnc and you will be given a password for FREE Video Tutorials for BobCAD.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Toby

I agree the 4th axis would normally be in the X but this part is very short and wouldn't need a tail-stock.

ps. Didn't think about mills with a narrow table.

That's alright buddy. We can't remember everything all the time. There is just too much to remember. It all really depends on what your doing and Load/Unload Convenience for the operator.

Make the operator happy and they do better work. Everyone counts on a team.:rainfro:
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Cool 4th axis

It does not really matter which axis you use as long as your 4th axis is setup that way. In Bcc you will have to use the conversion function in the NC window. Be careful it is a bit tricky to use.
    Rules of my Road: Don't do what you will regret! Never regret anything you do!