586,728 active members*
3,574 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Imold vs. MoldWorks

Imold vs. MoldWorks

I've asked this question on a few other forums. We have used SolidWorks for many years. We are now looking at some add-on packages to speed up our mold design process. We are looking at either Imold or MoldWorks. I would like to hear from some real users as to the pro's and con's of either one. Thanks!
    Doug Pryor
    David Wolfe Design, Inc.
    Akron, OH
    www.davidwolfedesign.com
    [email protected]

I a professional CAD/CAM designer and 3d modeller. For the last 6 years i am in the field of plastic mold design and development. Recently i start using imold and find it so much helpful in my work. It speed up my mold development work. But i face a little problem in that and want somebody's help.

I'd been using imold for a while too if i can be helpful let me know

Quote Originally Posted by zeeshan.insight View Post
    I a professional CAD/CAM designer and 3d modeller. For the last 6 years i am in the field of plastic mold design and development. Recently i start using imold and find it so much helpful in my work. It speed up my mold development work. But i face a little problem in that and want somebody's help.

im interested in molding
    and i wonder which software is the best and easy to learn
    ive seen catia, and i didnt like it so much
    i would be glad to know your opinion

I had a mouldmaking business for 5 years , I used solidworks for modelling and Vx for repairing other cad system models. Many models I received from customers had flaws in them notably those from Pro engineer & Catia posed the most problems. I could never get to grips with Vx for modelling but it was excellent at repairing flawed models. For machining I use Machining Strategeist which has now been bought by Vero. This is an excellent software I have been using it for about 10 years in total and it has never thrown up a bad toolpath, It is very easy to use . Machining boundaries are easy to set up and there are numerous strategies that can be used for Area clearance, waterlining , rest roughing, pencil milling, all are easy to set up. I have used Edgcam But the modeller is not very good and the maachining is not that good either . I have a friend with an engineering business and he committed to Edgecam and they have problems with toolpaths straying outside boundaries , that never happens with strategeist . it will machine just a single surface if you wish. Catia - I found this to be overcomplicated . Vero - solid modelling does not produce a history tree like solid works so you cant go back and alter something which I found you quite often need to do in mouldmaking as customers change their mind . Cam works for solidworks I havent tried but I Imagine it is quite good as it is based on Machining Strategeist as is Depo Cam. Solid Edge sucks all your computers resources although it is very good .I would avoid the following: Alphacam, Dolphin,Mastercam. All these products look really great till you start using them yourself then you find you are always getting special cases where you have to ring up to get help. That is something I have never had to to with Machining strategeist or DepoCam they can handle anything you throw at them. As for Imould I can not comment as I have never encountered that one.