586,732 active members*
3,450 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Choosing a Driver/Controller

Choosing a Driver/Controller

I wanted to get some feedback before choosing a proper Driver/Controller out of the many different options available to power my DIY CNC based out of C-Beam model from Openbuilds. It has 4 Nema 23, 180 oz.in, 2.5Amps. After my research, my options are the TinyG and the CNC xPRO V2. Both have really good reviews and proven to be reliable but they have been in the market for some years now and there is nothing wrong with that but there might be something newer out there that I might be missing. What do you guys recommend?
    Thanks in advance

Re: Choosing a Driver/Controller

Gecko G540 is popular. Pretty much plug and play.

Quote Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
    Gecko G540 is popular. Pretty much plug and play.
    Thanks for your response. I've read good things about that controller. I don't think it would be ideal for me tho, I only need 2.5 Amps output and the Gecko is at 3.5. that difference is reflected in price so there might be a cheaper alternative while keeping the goodness of the ol' G540

The price difference reflects quality as well.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Par View Post
    Thanks for your response. I've read good things about that controller. I don't think it would be ideal for me tho, I only need 2.5 Amps output and the Gecko is at 3.5. that difference is reflected in price so there might be a cheaper alternative while keeping the goodness of the ol' G540
    If you are worried about price, you might consider the hobbycnc ez driver. https://hobbycnc.com/product/hobbycnc-ez-board-kit/ I've had pretty good luck with mine.

Hi Phil

in answer to " I only need 2.5 Amps output and the Gecko is at 3.5"

while the G540's output is a maximum of 3.5A
    the actual output depends on an external resistor connected across the 9 pin D-type connector pins 1 and 5

in your case use 2.5 K 1/4W resistors or as close as you can

for instance using the easy to find E12 series resistors 2200 + 270 gives you 2470 ohms = 2.47A

from the G540 manual

"STEP 4: CONNECT MOTORS
    Wire your motors to the included DB9 solder cup and secure the backshell connectors. If your motors are rated below 3.5A you must use a current set resistor across PIN 1 and PIN 5. The resistor is calculated by taking the current in amps and
    multiplying by 1000. If your motor is rated at 2.8A per phase you will have to use a 2.8K 5% 1/4W resistor. If your motor is rated at 3.5A or above you can safely not use a current set resistor; however, your G540 will not go into current standby mode which will result in increased motor heating."

John