587,066 active members*
3,578 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Plasma Cutting Aluminum

Currently running a Powermax 1000 and would like to cut 3/8" aluminum. has anyone tried this? I'm going to cut a couple of samples to see what quality I can get but for the most part it doesn't matter since the part will be machined after it's cut.

Material will be 6061, 3/8" plate.

Thanks!

I've plasma cut 1/4 alum. It works fine, but the finish isn't as nice as steel. Not that you're probably building an airplane...but I've read some type of FAA regulation that required at least 1/8 milling after plasma because it leaves a lot of microscopic cracks. this may or may not matter for your application.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris64 View Post
    I've plasma cut 1/4 alum. It works fine, but the finish isn't as nice as steel. Not that you're probably building an airplane...but I've read some type of FAA regulation that required at least 1/8 milling after plasma because it leaves a lot of microscopic cracks. this may or may not matter for your application.
    Interesting. I cut some thinner stuff a ways back and my impression of it was that that it tears the aluminum more than it cuts it. Guess that was partially true.

Good to know though. It's not areo-space but I will leave more than 1/8th for machining and finish quality. Thanks for the info.

Plasma cutting Aluminum

Scorpion,
    I run the powermax 1000 also. I have cut 1/2" aluminum with mine, Also 1/2" ss, 1/2" mild steel. All this with the finecut tips. The edge will not be like steel but it is do-able.
    Cutmore

Quote Originally Posted by cut more View Post
    Scorpion,
    I run the powermax 1000 also. I have cut 1/2" aluminum with mine, Also 1/2" ss, 1/2" mild steel. All this with the finecut tips. The edge will not be like steel but it is do-able.
    Cutmore

Can you give me approx settings for IPM, Voltage, and amps for 1/2" Al? It would give me an approx starting place and possibly save me a tip. I had planned on starting where I do for steel but with a little higher voltage setting but that was a pure guess.

Thanks.

Scorpion,
    I turned my athc off, pierce was ~1.5 sec. Amperage was 60, speed ~12 Ipm for straight and I think 6 or 8 ipm. circles. I will check when I get home & let you know exact speeds tomorrow.
    Cutmore