586,546 active members*
3,392 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Help identifying part for G0704

Help identifying part for G0704

I am adding a belt drive kit from Bench Top Precision, and removed the quill/spindle assembly on my G0704. In the process of removal, the following piece came out with the quill/spindle assembly. It is 2-5/8" in length, .036" thick, .145" wide, and there is a small indentation on one end. It doesn't appear to be on the parts diagram. What is it and where does it go for reassembly? Thanks.

Re: Help identifying part for G0704

I'm not positive without seeing it but think it's called a curved plate spring. There are a couple... one in the fine feed knob assembly and one one the spindle feed hub assembly. If that's not what it is, then I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by coherent View Post
    I'm not positive without seeing it but think it's called a curved plate spring. There are a couple... one in the fine feed knob assembly and one one the spindle feed hub assembly. If that's not what it is, then I have no idea.
    Wrong. I don't even know what you are referring to as there isn't anything like this in either the fine feed or spindle feed mechanisms.

What the part really is: It is the backing spring from inside the DRO for the quill. It is not shown as a separate part on the parts list because you aren't supposed to take the DRO apart.

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    Wrong. I don't even know what you are referring to as there isn't anything like this in either the fine feed or spindle feed mechanisms.

What the part really is: It is the backing spring from inside the DRO for the quill. It is not shown as a separate part on the parts list because you aren't supposed to take the DRO apart.

I didn't take the DRO for the quill apart. All I did was remove the DRO block from the spindle and rotate the quill handle to lower the quill/spindle assembly out the bottom of the head in accordance to the instructions. The mill has been CNC'd, so will this cause any problems. If any problems, can it be reassembled? Thanks.

yes it can be put back in easily. i only say that it should not be disassembled because that is what the manufacturer would say. all you have to do is remove the slide from the DRO head unit by sliding it out. Then slip that backing spring into the head unit. the hole should fit over a small pin. Then put the slide back in. the convex side rides on the side of the slide. this is all easier done with the entire DRO removed from the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    Chill. No need to get so rude. Like I said, I wasn't sure and was just trying to help. It looks like part number 243 in the diagram at the grizzly store which IS in both the locations I mentioned. I have no idea what it's made of from by looking at the photo or the low res diagram... it was just a guess.

I also did a belt drive but didn't remember seeing such a part.. so I'm really glad you chimed in since you're an expert on these mills and can help the original poster with your wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by coherent View Post
    Chill. No need to get so rude. Like I said, I wasn't sure and was just trying to help. It looks like part number 243 in the diagram at the grizzly store which IS in both the locations I mentioned. I have no idea what it's made of from by looking at the photo or the low res diagram... it was just a guess.

I also did a belt drive but didn't remember seeing such a part.. so I'm really glad you chimed in since you're an expert on these mills and can help the original poster with your wisdom.
    I'm chill, but it seems you aren't. I simply pointed out the wrong answer. and then provided the correct answer I think he would rather have the right answer than your "wisdom".

BTW. I looked at the parts list just now and the part you referenced is just a tiny little steel spring about 1/4" long that provides friction to keep the setting dials from turning. The part the OP posted is a brass spring/shim that is about 2" long.

Quote Originally Posted by JD2016 View Post
    I didn't take the DRO for the quill apart. All I did was remove the DRO block from the spindle and rotate the quill handle to lower the quill/spindle assembly out the bottom of the head in accordance to the instructions. The mill has been CNC'd, so will this cause any problems. If any problems, can it be reassembled? Thanks.
    If you pull the rule slide out of the DRO then this spring will come out.
    Inner Vision Development Corp. - http://www.ivdc.com
    Website Design & Development. Shopping Carts, SEO and more!