586,655 active members*
2,578 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Solid Works Solids importing with gaps and over hang

Solid Works Solids importing with gaps and over hang

I notice when my engineering department makes a solid that has some tight complex area's, the solid imports in with gaps and webbing. Ive been trying to mess with my settings, and had them save it a couple different ways. But no luck.
    Anyone know what could be the problem? Ive attached what my solid import settings are at the moment. And the solid Im trying to open.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Solid Works Solids importing with gaps and over hang

Try turning off Edge Curves for now. You can easily create them after the solid is imported.
    You also didn't mention which file type you're trying to read. Solidworks directly?
    If so, have them convert it to .SAT, or .X_T or .X_B
    I've had MUCH better luck with ACIS or Parasolid files.

Yes, I know Mcam is supposed to read SW files, but try importing using a neutral file type.
    ObrienDave. MasterCam since V6. Gcode since 1983.
    The nose you punch today may belong to the butt you have to kiss tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by ObrienDave View Post
    Yes, I know Mcam is supposed to read SW files, but try importing using a neutral file type.
    Agreed..... Mastercam should directly open a SW file
    else... try different solid format types.... .STP,.... .X_T, .... .SAT, ... .IGS

Stay away from STL (Stereolithic)
    maybe your engineering dept needs to alter the way they think they should be doing it. To do it correctly, for you

I had my engineer save it every format imaginable. IGIS, SLDPRT, X.T, etc, etc. He messed with every setting option he could think of. He is telling me it looks good on his end. Im just going to try a patch the surface up, once I create it.

Quote Originally Posted by dfearnow View Post
    I had my engineer save it every format imaginable. IGIS, SLDPRT, X.T, etc, etc. He messed with every setting option he could think of. He is telling me it looks good on his end. Im just going to try a patch the surface up, once I create it.
    What version Mastercam ?

What displays, if you bring it in as surfaces ? ( do not bring edge curves with the surfaces, you end up with double geometry on every surface joint )
    Can you create a surface patch from the faulty solid ? ....

Gaps & webs usually appear on surfaces ......
    Is he sending his whole file ( lock, stock + barrel ) ? .... there may be other items created in SW that are showing up as those glitches ..
    He should have just the single item in the file .... ie "Save Some..."

Is there any items that have been "Hidden" during the import ?

When you are opening the file you want to click on OPTIONS at bottom of window before you import it and make sure you click on import as solids in the box. You should be able to save those settings. sounds like what you are getting are untrimmed surfaces. Personally we import files from .stp and they seem to be the most accurate....but then that all depends on the cad software and the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
    When you are opening the file you want to click on OPTIONS at bottom of window before you import it and make sure you click on import as solids in the box. You should be able to save those settings. sounds like what you are getting are untrimmed surfaces. Personally we import files from .stp and they seem to be the most accurate....but then that all depends on the cad software and the settings.
    As solarpower said file>merge>options brings up the solid works import options. We use Solid Works on a daily basis with very few if any issues. If issues come up we try .stp files.

Attachment 332950