586,728 active members*
3,308 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC plasma table cutting horribly

i am running a hypertherm 1250 on my CNCtable, the machine is a westcott plasma and just a few months old (bladerunner controller) .

i felt like it wasn't cutting too well so i sent the plasma in to get a once over. thye found a bunch of moisture in the lines. cleaned it out ans went through the tests, replaced all the consumables and good to go. hooked it up to the table and the i cannot get it to cut well.

all the setting are the same as before it left. i have made a few changes to the cut but cant seem to get it to smarten up.

on 1/4 plate, 60amp tip, air pressure 75psi ( attempeted from 65 - 85 ) and cut speed from the suggested 86, down to 50.

the cut is very jagged, and has a huge concave to it.

i have used cut heights 0.06 ( from the pre loaded tool set ) and 0.09.

any help or suggestions?

it has never cut perfect but fairly decent. horrible now....

also has seem to always have an issue with dross, especially on thinner material like 10gauge

Re: CNC plasma table cutting horribly

First, Make sure the consumables are correct, part number 120930 shield,120928 retaining cap, 120931 60 amp nozzle, 120926 electrode, 120925 swirl ring. Make sure these all appear or are new. If the orifice in the shield or the nozzle have any nicks, gouges, cratering.....then they should be replaced. Next, activate the air flow at the torch by turning the amperage knob fully counter clockwise. Check the air at the inlet (you really should have a gauge hard plumbed here....reading back at the compressor could be off by as much as 15 or more psi) the inlet pressure with air flowing at the torch must be above 90 psi and below 120 psi. Now, with the air still flowing set the cut pressure on the front panel to between 72 and 75 psi according to the LED gauge.

Make sure your pierce height on 1/4" is set at about 2 x the cut height....so it should be between .12" and .15 inches, then set your cut height at .06", and arc voltage at 132 volts. Cut speed at 86 ipm....50 is way too slow for 60 amps on 1/4" and will make a very ugly cut. Watch the height on the first cut to ensure it stays at .06"......if too high lower your voltage setting until it is right. Take a picture of the cut and post it...or send it to me at [email protected].

Jim Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by epichutch View Post
    i am running a hypertherm 1250 on my CNCtable, the machine is a westcott plasma and just a few months old (bladerunner controller) .

i felt like it wasn't cutting too well so i sent the plasma in to get a once over. thye found a bunch of moisture in the lines. cleaned it out ans went through the tests, replaced all the consumables and good to go. hooked it up to the table and the i cannot get it to cut well.

all the setting are the same as before it left. i have made a few changes to the cut but cant seem to get it to smarten up.

on 1/4 plate, 60amp tip, air pressure 75psi ( attempeted from 65 - 85 ) and cut speed from the suggested 86, down to 50.

the cut is very jagged, and has a huge concave to it.

i have used cut heights 0.06 ( from the pre loaded tool set ) and 0.09.

any help or suggestions?

it has never cut perfect but fairly decent. horrible now....

also has seem to always have an issue with dross, especially on thinner material like 10gauge

Re: CNC plasma table cutting horribly

made a couple changes as suggested. found my cut height was way too low. the trigger offset was not right, causing the actual cut height to be roughly 0.03. really happy with the cut on 1/4, very minimal bevel to the cut. the lead in isn't too smooth, i usually use an angled lead in with a 0.15 over cut.

is there a hint on how to get the bolt hole a little cleaner? this is a 1/2 inch hole and it has a pretty good bevel. it is actually programmed at 0.52" and i verified the kerf is almost dead on.

i will be checking 3/16 cut next. although in the offered tool set there is no setting for 3/16 with a 60 amp tip. a little insight??

Thanks, Sam