587,067 active members*
3,465 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

USB for Haas TM1

Any one ever convert the Floppy over to a USB on a TM1?

Re: USB for Haas TM1

Did it with a number of Mini mills and a VF3. It sucks. There may be superior products to the one I purchased, but mine requires that I use special software to format my USB stick as a floppy - or as a number of floppies. Then it becomes incompatible with the OEM USB drives on the newer machines in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by flick View Post
    Did it with a number of Mini mills and a VF3. It sucks. There may be superior products to the one I purchased, but mine requires that I use special software to format my USB stick as a floppy - or as a number of floppies. Then it becomes incompatible with the OEM USB drives on the newer machines in the shop.
    The actual files are mutually compatable just the formatted drive is not. Just drag and drop to C drive and I.O. from there.

Quote Originally Posted by LeWhite View Post
    The actual files are mutually compatable just the formatted drive is not. Just drag and drop to C drive and I.O. from there.
    Yup. But don't get your normal USB stick mixed up with your Floppy formatted USB stick. If you put the wrong one in the wrong machine, you might just lose ALL your data! Fun!

The software that comes with most of the USB floppy emulators is beyond terrible. But once you get it figured out it does work ok. Basically what you do is partition and format a small USB stick with a bunch of 1.44MB partitions, which are then usable with the floppy emulator. The catch is that when you plug this specially formatted USB stick into a computer, you can only access the first partition, unless you use the included software (which is a disaster and nearly impossible to figure out). I don't bother with that since the Bridgeport I'm using this on only has like 128k of usable RAM anyway, so one partition is fine.

I considered converting my TM-1 also, but since the machine is close to my computer (<25ft worth of cable) I just transfer programs over a serial connection.

C|

@flick the worst that has happened to me is the partisioned disk wouldnt read the best it only read partition 1. Now if it asks if you would like to partision to ntfs or fat and you say yes......
    When you ' save as' to the partisioned drive (might say floppy)... well you cant get get there from here. Because it is a virtual drive, it can only be accessed thru the app in C drive.