586,567 active members*
3,655 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Introducing the G214 and Contest!
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: Introducing the G214 and Contest!

I thnik my CNC router needs a 4th axis and the G214 would be a welcome addition to the G540 it is currently running.

I've got 2 G540 running on two mills and a third G540 on the shelf. (darn winter special with free shipping) Would love to use the 214 for a 4th axis with larger current stepper.

Steve.

I would like to use the G214 in robotic gimbal arms for stabilization of video cameras.

I am running a Bridgeport BOSS5 Mill with G203's and would like to compare the performance of the new G214 with the big Nema 42 motors.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by leotech View Post
    I would like to use the G214 in robotic gimbal arms for stabilization of video cameras.
    That sounds pretty cool. Do you have any videos of any gimbal arms you have made?
    Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

My son and I both build and run CNC machines. I got him started about five years ago and we both initially started with some cheap Chinese drivers and motors from ebay. Well like they say you get what you pay for! We both lost several drivers with just a standard load, we both decided to get the Gecko G540 and I am happy to report all the machines are still working perfect. AMERICAN MADE..... Now we want to add forth axis' to our machines so the G214 sounds like just the ticket.

Great Job Marris, you've been doing this stuff forever.

Russ Larson

G201 rev A still runs great.

I have lots of Gecko drives. Here is a pic of one machine still using the original G201 rev A drives along with one newer model with red cover. I think that was about 1999 when these came out. The original rev A G201 was sold without covers and not officially under the GeckoDrive name but they still work great after all these years. A real testament to quality. I have two new routers in the works that I would love to run on the newest version.

Is there any wiring installation docs around? Can we use PMDX 134 motherboard for these G214?

I am putting together a syringe pump stage to precisely dispense chemicals.
    I believe the G214 would be good because of the wide speed range that I need.

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    Is there any wiring installation docs around? Can we use PMDX 134 motherboard for these G214?
    The G214 should support almost all breakout boards. The PMDX134 is meant to plug in to our other drives and will not work that way because of the different connectors and pinout of the G214, but should be able to be wired to the drive without issue.

We have all documentation on our website and you can find the manual on the G214 product page. I have linked it below for you.

G214 High Resolution Stepper Motor Control | Step Motor Controls
    Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

My DIY CNC journey started decades back. Mariss got me settled on the Gecko drive when I was consulted with him on the phone for my conversion on a friend's machine. 4 x G320 Gecko drive still at works today. I have a Novakon NM-145 with 4 x G202 today. I picked Novakon from Canada because their machine built with Gecko Drive (at then). I paid all the import tax and shipping across the US to southern California because I know if the machine's drive fail, Mariss will be there for me to get it up and running again. Currently I plant to converse my Bridgeport clone to CNC for a larger working envelope for a coming project but I'm broke at the moment due to all the back to school essential expense for my high school boy.
    Well...., may be by the end of the year I can save up for another set of Gecko Drives.

I have a 3 axis G0704 milling machine with Import drivers. I have heard all of the great things about Gecko drives and have in the past thought about upgrading to them to improve my machine performance and smoothness. If the performance is there it would be worth it to me to upgrade, but being a hobbyist on a very tight hobby budget, I just can't justify spending the money without actually knowing what kind of performance increase I could get. A single drive would allow me to replace the drive on one axis to actually see the improvement. I am also getting ready to convert my rotary table and small lathe to CNC as well.

I build a fairly large CNC router a few years ago with Gecko drives. It has performed flawlessly. I am considering some upgrades including a water cooled spindle and a 4th axis, so this might fit perfectly.

Hi Marcus,

Pretty generous of you guys to do a contest! I'd kill for a set as I'm working on a new small format, (600mm x 600mm work area) but fast/high res machine for doing very fine modelling mainly for molds and castings, for producing small fused glass panels as well as resin panels for a range of wall sconces I'm working on from home, which hopefully will turn into a business at some point.

Currently using my big machine but it's not hugely practical given the mass for the machining requirements for these molds and forms.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Hi , everyone , you must need stepper motor if you want to build your CNC machine, but where did you buy it? local shop or China online shop ?
    I have Nema23 stepper motor is used for CNC machine, Email me if you need.
    Best
    Rony

We are in the process of collecting parts for a 150 watt laser, the G214's should be a very reliable solution.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Alright, the last few hours to enter. We've got some pretty awesome uses for the G214 so far and the winners will be announced after 5PM Pacific time today. We will ship out the winner drives on Monday and you should be seeing these next week!
    Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

please be me I need my Z axis working properly
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey, sorry for the delay in posting the winners! We got a lot of great entries and it was hard to choose, but here are the winners:

cjd7734
    lars_lars
    lloydsp
    SteveS

All winners will receive a PM on how to get their free G214 and we will ship them out as soon as we receive all of their information. Thanks for all the entries and congratulations to the winners!

Edit: I am having trouble sending a PM to SteveS because it says he has that function disabled. SteveS, please shoot me an email at [email protected] if you are reading this! If we don't hear anything by 5PM on Monday then we will have to announce another winner.
    Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

So I still haven't heard anything from SteveS so we have to pick a new fourth winner. That winner is Bvbang, so congratulations! I have just sent a PM notifying you so just follow the instructions and we will get your new G214 out as soon as we receive shipping info.
    Marcus Freimanis
    www.geckodrive.com

Page 2 of 3 123