586,905 active members*
2,776 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Updating kmotioncnc and firmware question...

I recently bought a fadal 4020 vmc thats been retrofitted and running off a kflop and kanalog board with the origional servos. The current version of kmotion that the machine is using is old, doesnt even have rapid override which scares the heck out of me.

So id like to upgrade kmotioncnc and kflop firmware. I read through the guide on updating on the website, and have backed up the entire folder its running now, along with the init.c file and the spindle.c file. Im guessing that these two files are all i need and i should be ok. But honestly i dont fully understand the part of c programs being stored on kflop. Not sure if this applys to me or not. I would hate to update things and loose something critical. Is there some way i can double check to see if there are any other files stored in kflop that i need to backup?

Hopefully somebody can tell me if i need to check anything first or am safe to update everything. Thanks

Re: Updating kmotioncnc and firmware question...

What is the Kflop/Kmotion version? I'm not sure how old versions were laid out but typically in KMotionCNC you can go to the Tool Setup screen and look at each of the tabs for references to C files. If there are any in there you'll definitely want to note their locations and restore all of the same settings and files on your new installation. You could also open KMotion while you're running KMotionCNC and click on the C Program button. Any threads that light up indicate a C program running in Kflop. I would think in addition to the C files you mentioned you would have at least a tool changing C program. Perhaps someone else can comment on whether there is an update procedure for doing this automatically?

Hi mmurray70,

As Troy_O points out usually you should be able to find all C files used and where they are located by looking in the KMotionCNC Tool Setup tabs.

Installing a new Version to a new directory should not have any effect on an existing Version.

If you have no idea what and where the original designer put things the safest thing to do would be to backup the entire PC.

Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

All the C files specified in kmotioncnc are backed up. The toolchanger hasnt been included in the retrofit so no worries about toolchanger c file, thats a project for later on.

I was mostly concerned that some kinda file might be flashed to kflop (and not on computer at all) and i might loose that, but after some more research yesterday i think im ok. Going to give it a shot later today or tomorrow. Thanks for the help.