586,108 active members*
3,100 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > New Microsoft Vista Will Our "STUFF" work?
Page 1 of 2 12

New Microsoft Vista Will Our "STUFF" work?

How is all our software/hardware going to work & perform on the new windows operating system?
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

My opinion is, "Who Cares" as I have no intention of up/down grading to this os any time in the near future. It is mainly a DRM (Digital Right Management) BLOATWARE that will do nothing to IMPROVE my system.
    As it is, I only run XP because of a couple (yes 2) programs that I need to use that requires XP. Otherwise, I would not use it!

Shucks, I wouldn't even use windoze if it was not for the requirement to use some of these programs (so far they will not work under Wine etc).

Just because MS put this junk out doesn't mean that I HAVE to install it.

I tried the last beta version and didn't find a thing that made me think it was an "upgrade"!
    Bubba
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

i have to agree.

i can't see why anyone would want to change anything on single use system.
    if you do normal computer stuff and cnc from the same computer i would NOT recommend vista because its very likely not compatible with your cnc software.

if your thinking of getting vista on an everyday use computer i would advise waiting at least until service pack 2 is out as this is normally when M$ starts to get the major bugs out.

i allso beta tested for M$ including every OS since 95 i gave up with vista beta after build 3 when i got a good idea where it was going. i have a valid key for vista but it will not have a permanent place on any of my computers for some time still. XP and 2000 do everything i need them too at least for now.

Ya I am gonna jump on the M$ bashing bandwagon, as far as upgrade goes that what new M$ OS's mean, you need to upgrade to the latest motherboard/cpu/ram combo so the bloated hunk-a-junk will go faster than a dead snail. The service pack road is a long and bumpy ride.

What I think is funny is that I run my router on a machine with 98 installed, I boot into dos and use Turbocnc, it is sweet!!! I am getting DeskCNC for the constant velocity side of things, but I will keep 98, it boots fast, (relatively)stable and DeskCNC will run without any probs.

I definately don't put it on the internet though...lol

As for the future, I am looking at embedded microcontroller machine controllers as a more reliable method, getting rid of the PC totally for machine control, well it's on the "To Do" list anyway.

Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by millman52 View Post
    How is all our software/hardware going to work & perform on the new windows operating system?
    This might help answer your question.
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f5f101033.mspx

I always find it funny when folks start ripping on MS, most times it's from a PC running Windows.

If not satisfied, you have many options Mac, Linux, etc..

Bleh. A collegue of mine has been installing inventor 11 on vista and opening some of the bigger assembly's and it crashed! Not once but allmost every time.

Some stuff is really not ok...

I don't like some of the things microsoft does either. But face it if you are going to use Windows based OS, In my case I have 3 now networked. It would be almost impossible for me to convert all to a different operating system. Plus thousands of dollars spent on other software for windows. Accounting software, Full versions of AutoCAD etc.

I didn't start this thread to Windows Bash. There is plenty I don't like too.

My original question was If I were to purchase todays Torchmate or mach 3 or a host of others now out there. Are they Compatable with Vista? I'd guess that in less than a year you will not be able to walk in anywhere & purchase a new Windows based PC off the shelf that doesn't have Vista on it........

I just don't want to build a new burning table that should last for 15-20 years & find out next year if & when my XP system crapps out, nothing else I have will work with VISTA!!!! I don't want at that point to try & find a licensed copy of XP!!

I'm still running win98 on one of my work laptops. It works great for PLC and SCADA software. That old laptop still has an honest to goodness serial port to.
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

On the other hand, you have a licensed copy now, so if you have a problem with the existing box, get a "bare bones" and install it on the new one?

Also, my origional post was not strictly intended to "bash" MS, but rather to state my feelings on the situation. Yes I use it, and this is mainly from a historical standpoint. I used to run another operating system but for business reasons I had to change to MS for compatibility and simplicity in dealing with clients etc.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    On the other hand, you have a licensed copy now, so if you have a problem with the existing box, get a "bare bones" and install it on the new one?

Well that's an option. Last 3 computers I have purchased have not had a XP disk with them. To get a copy I have to go back to the computer manufacturer & request a copy. They want $15.00 for a disk & freight for something I have alredy purchased. (Another pet pieve of the way microsoft does business.)

All the PC I have bought (HP) will let you burn install cd's once for each PC (XP).

Hp took 8 cd's.

You don't need to buy the cd's from a manufacture (well I didn't).

Should cost you less than $1.00 in blank CD-R's.

Art has Mach3 running a machine using Vista and the parallel port. He posted instructions on how to get it to work on the Yahoo group. Apparently he'll need to write a new installer, but so far no problems.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I don't worry too much about MS's advancement, because in my pile of electrical "crap" I have Windows95,98,2000 all on Cdr as well as the boot floppies and a couple of service packs. I only have Xp because this computer I have at home came with it. So, add a copy of Xp to the mix.
    I have an extra floppy drive or three, just in case those become defunct (well, more than they already are)
    A few extra hard drives, and two or three motherboards, as of this weekend.
    Quickstep runs under Winders95 and up,plus if nothing else there is Turbocnc and if the world ended tomorrow (who knows? because of global warming ?) and I were the only human left on earth I think I would be ok.

I guess I can throw out my trusty Amiga 500 computer and my old Tandy with the green and black screen, but playing Super Pitfall on these is just so addicting. I held on to them just in case they ever went somewhere, but that didn't happen.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    This might help answer your question.
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f5f101033.mspx

I always find it funny when folks start ripping on MS, most times it's from a PC running Windows.

If not satisfied, you have many options Mac, Linux, etc..

Make all the programs I require run in linux or even Mac OS and i'll switch in a heartbeat.

Vista is bloated and takes a super computer to run it.

It saddens me that many people are going along with it.
    I tried longhorn(pre vista) back in the day and it was actually pretty cool, an older beta of vista wasn't terrible, but now its horrible. Nothing has improoved and you have DRM watching your every move.

Jon

Vista is designed to be backwards compatible with all Windows XP Program's. So far we have had several customers contact us who have new Vista Machines and they are having no problems as of yet.
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@Torchmate View Post
    Vista is designed to be backwards compatible with all Windows XP Program's. So far we have had several customers contact us who have new Vista Machines and they are having no problems as of yet.
    You bring up an excellent point, Mike. All my software that runs under Win98 also runs under 2000 or Xp, at least as far as I have seen. The only exceptions are programs that have anything to do with DOS.

Vista may wind up being an excellent program, but I still prefer my WIndows 2000. If it weren't for the fact the computer I have at home came with Xp already installed, it would have 2000 or even 98 on it.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

In vista you can also manually set each program to run under a certain compatibility profile, I believe there is an option for every Window's operating system down to Windows 98.
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST

With building a new torch & having to rely on it almost daily in my business. I most likely will purchase a new computer to go along with it. It may be bare bones & install the OS myself but still wanted to be sure it's compatable.

You guys are funny... Think of it this way:

I just purchased a new machine, and need to get the CAM software installed on a dedicated computer... So I am looking to purchase a laptop or desktop to run my machine with, BUT ALL THE NEW COMPUTERS FOR SALE ALL RUN OFF OF WINDOWS VISTA!!! That means I had to contact Mach3 (artsoft) and check to see if they support the new OS, and if they have a new version that has been released yet. Art got back to me with amazing speed and said that as far as they know Vista works well with their current release of Mach3 software. I had contacted the CNC company prior to see what they thought since they only support XP at this time, and they were unsure, but suggested I check with the software makers themselves. So I purchased a laptop for a few hundred bucks, and am going to send it up to the CNC company to have them load the software and test it with my new machine before I have it shipped to me. As a computer salesman AND Art Fenerty of Artsoft software mentioned, many people will load XP on a Vista system if they incurr issues or have bugs that they can't work out. It seems like Windows and everyother software mogul out there change their software format every year or 2 just to ensure job security... Oh, the new software has these GREAT features, and by the way we don't support your old version so you will have to upgrade anyways, that is if you want to continue service and technical support from us... YA RIGHT!

I am not opposed to change, however it is hard to embrace change when AutoCAD changes it's versions every 3 years where the 3+ year old files do not interface with the new version... You also need to upgrade your system to keep up with the bigger and "better" software, so the tech industry makes $$$ hand over fist year after year! I wouldn't be too concerned if you could continue to use old software along with new software, but when you import a file into the new software and it re-writes it to that version where you can't go back... that sucks. Anyways, the VISTA seems to be a little more towards MAC operating systems, which may be a good thing! I guess I will see what happens with the new OS and new computer and the new machine.... I will keep you all posted just incase someone reads this thread.

Whether or not to upgrade isn't of any interest to me. Downgrading might be a better question..... I'm new to Mach3 and CNC machining as well. I have a working CNC mill I'm about to upgrade and plan to use a dedicated PC for the machine. Now since the new machines on the shelves are preloaded with Vista nowadays my question is- will I be ok running Vista (especially as a noob) or should I "downgrade" to XP Pro? I already have the full version XP Pro disk.

edit: I capitalized where appropriate but it isn't showing in my post...hmmm
    Has the site "upgraded" to Vista?

Page 1 of 2 12