586,974 active members*
3,549 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCAD Dupped me and no refund
Page 2 of 4 1234

Re: BobCAD Dupped me and no refund

So an utter n00b buys a cheap machine.

It arrives, then sits on his desk doing nothing. He doesn't know the difference between control and CAM software or that he needs both. Actually, for simple stuff he doesn't need CAM at all - just the control software. He gets a call from a company out of the blue saying they have software that will make everything work. They even go through a live demo with a virtual machine to convince him that it's all good.

Now he finds that it's not all good and that the CAM software doesn't do what he wants it to do or what he was led to believe it will do. And the company is denying a refund on the basis that they've managed to skirt around a direct lie based on his ignorance during the pre-sales call.

Having read more than one tale of woe regarding BobCAD's marketing mentality, this really comes as no surprise but it never stops being a disappointment. Especially considering that their software isn't too bad, if they stopped being such a bunch of c*nts about selling and supporting their stuff and actually put their customers, well, first might be an ask, but maybe in the top five of their priorities - maybe they'd do better sales numbers.

FWIW Dolphin seem to be just as bad.

""""""I got a random call from a company named bobcad"""""

lol....... yeah, thats the ticket. A random call. And then they promised me the world. Tthats right. Told me it was a machine controller, see. Thats the ticket.

Years ago when I was looking for a CNC I got some quotes and then the Bobcad calls started coming in. Not sure if the companies were selling names and numbers to Bobcad but how did they know I was thinking of getting a CNC

Vulcan mind melding?

Still waiting for your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by fixtureman1 View Post
    Years ago when I was looking for a CNC I got some quotes and then the Bobcad calls started coming in. Not sure if the companies were selling names and numbers to Bobcad but how did they know I was thinking of getting a CNC

They have ESP

Tech1AZ

I really don`t understand your problem, you have a CNC machine that I assume you purchased with a controller on it, then you purchased BobCAD-CAM software to produce code for your CNC machine.

If what I have written above is correct then you should be able to produce code from BobCAD that will run your machine, all you need is the correct Post Processor that will output code in the correct format for your CNC controller, BobCAD will provide a Post Processor to do that for you, they do guarantee that their software will produce usable code for your machine so as I see it you have everything you need to proceed, you just need a little help/guidance to get you up and running.

There are many very knowledgable folks on this Forum so if you can provide details of the CNC machine and it`s controller I am sure there will be some help available for you, there may even be someone with the same or similar CNC machine to the one you purchased

So, instead of all the ranting please just take a couple of deep breaths and help us to help you to be yet another happy machinist

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

BobCAD Dupped me and no refund

I believe you have to get rid of a "p" to be "duped",,,,,just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    BobCAD Dupped me and no refund

I believe you have to get rid of a "p" to be "duped",,,,,just sayin
    Thanks, I will fix that...

Quote Originally Posted by naspc View Post
    What's their website ?
    I am not sure if my first reply to this message went out but the website was CAD-CAM | Computer Aided Design & Manufacturing by BobCADCAM

I have almost no experience with blogs but have been operating computers since Windows 3.1 and still have two of those machines that work great to this day.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what there stuff was for, I already have AutoCADLT and just upgraded my VisioPRO to 2016, I had been using Visio before Microsoft even owned it.

I have been learning the mistake of investing (or a lack there of) in the Chinese machines and all these other PLC I have purchased.

That mostly sums it up for me, I had already explained to them I have CAD and drawing software, but explained to them that the board on the machine I had was using an awful Chinese software (LaserDRW) and needed something to replace that software to have true calibration and control over the machine.

Just the other day before I found this site, I ended taking another CNC persons advise and bought and older WYSE computer and here is all what was included.
    I also have a 3 axis TB6560 driver board, but I guess I can't use the three NEMA17 steppers I have and need to get ones that will work on a voltage of 12~32VDC and I can't remember their current draw it this time.
    +Wyse V90 Industrial PC Compact industrial computer.

PS2/USB keyboard input (monitor and keyboard not included)

+TurboCNC Control Software Full, Multi-axis CNC machine control software running in a real time DOS-based environment.

+BobCAD V14.1 Design CAD-CNC software Complete lathe and mill design and CAM software.

+Custom Back-Up CD with TurbocadLE and CAM and Engraving software that can be installed on a Windows PC.

The older stuff doesn't really bother me as long it can produce accurate cuts with the machinery I have. I had a CNC in my shop 25 years ago and was taught haw to take my AutoCAD R13 Drawings and convert them to a vector file the generate the G-Code from that, but it has been so long ago I just remember the simplicity of how G-Code worked and that is about it.

@Tech1AZ: Does the machine work at all using LaserDRW?

Oopps, just lost my quote, so I'll just reply. Just getting used to how a blog actually works. I can absolutely post all of the boards I have including the part numbers/revisions, I/O Ports, Current software used. I would appreciate any feedback that can help me get on my feet. I just come from a custom cabinet design, custom Crestron, HAI, Elan control systems design back ground, have always drawn my own drawings, PCB's, and wiring diagrams for field techs that needed more clarity that what the manuals were providing.

I appreciate all the conversation I have been seeing I have respect for all of you who have got involved. I will get a list of all what I have which is not much, and have it within the next 24~48 hours at the latest.

Thanks You All, Again - Robert

One of the Chinese machines did work out of box, the problem I have is that the software is garbage and very limited with control or a manual at that. For instance when I create a scaled 2D drawing (.dxf, .jpg, bitmap...) from my software and then send it to the Chinese (LaserDRW) software, although the scale looks correct on the screen with the measurements and I have set the drawing area prior to each project, the end result ends up not as I scaled it and the holes and everything else are off by miles. I kept trial and error tests on cutting scrap paper, setting a Zero point which is never remembered even when I save it. I usually have to reboot between duplicate projects, as it seems that bits of data are not being flushed out by the buffer and starts creating alien parts. The whole thing is I need consistency in the wiring connections, a manual that is in English with complete details and not half-cocked illustrations or photos that are irrelevant . I have tried talking with a few of the Chinese people that have been nice enough to try and help, but I think I overwhelm them with details about the problems I am having and they end up sending me stuff that is incomplete or some kind of generic message response. I do take my own credit for not doing as much research as I should have, and being my own worst enemy when it comes to putting my trust in people I should question. Being a nice guy has cost me dearly.

I do appreciate your input and do take heed to your guys advice, and sarcasm I can take with out being a baby about it, plus sarcasm is a good thing in my book. Sometimes I need a good slap in the head to wake me up.

I though I would throw in an extra "p" in to make me look more edjumukated.
    My fried Rick with his name, but he spells his name with a silent 'P"
    Thanks for calling me out on it, I don't like to misspell words or use horrible grammar. It makes my mother cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by ghyman View Post
    @Tech1AZ: Does the machine work at all using LaserDRW?

Yes I does actually work, but the X-Y zero point it defaults too is in a bad area (behind the over sized exhaust) and I have to manually set it to a more logical location, but can not keep it there longer than one project. Specs say it works in a 200mm x 300mm cutting area, but it doesn't.

[QUOTE=Tech1AZ;1910376]Just the other day before I found this site, I ended taking another CNC persons advise and bought and older WYSE computer and here is all what was included.
    I also have a 3 axis TB6560 driver board, but I guess I can't use the three NEMA17 steppers I have and need to get ones that will work on a voltage of 12~32VDC and I can't remember their current draw it this time.
    +Wyse V90 Industrial PC Compact industrial computer.

PS2/USB keyboard input (monitor and keyboard not included)

+TurboCNC Control Software Full, Multi-axis CNC machine control software running in a real time DOS-based environment.

+BobCAD V14.1 Design CAD-CNC software Complete lathe and mill design and CAM software.

+Custom Back-Up CD with TurbocadLE and CAM and Engraving software that can be installed on a Windows PC.

Be careful with those TB6560 boards, I looked into doing some 3 axis control gear and heard some unpleasent stories about those boards, just do your home work and do everything right.

I think the board has been replaced by TB6600.

Is the laser cutter one of those small desktop units with 300x200 work area?

I have recently got a 22 year old Austrian CNC router running with Mach 3 and BobCAD, works a treat. There are posts within BobCAD to work Mach 3. Every post that I have used from the BobCAD libary has worked straight away.

From the way that you are talking you are going to rip the control gear out of the laser cutter and replace with 3 axis boards and steppers etc. Your best advice on this sort of thing will be over on the Mach 3 forums, once you have the machine moving around under manual control then you need BobCAD to throw some G code at the setup.

Regards

Barrie

Quote Originally Posted by Tech1AZ View Post
    Yes I does actually work, but the X-Y zero point it defaults too is in a bad area (behind the over sized exhaust) and I have to manually set it to a more logical location, but can not keep it there longer than one project. Specs say it works in a 200mm x 300mm cutting area, but it doesn't.
    Hey tech,
    So the website being asked for will be the one for the machine you are discussing, not bobcad. People want to help you get that going.

possibly we can help. My suggestion at this point is to pick a start point and follow it, with help. I'm afraid buying the dinosauer with ancient softwares may make it more difficult to get results.

at this point we know:
    1. Machine works.
    2. You dont like the controller
    3. You have bobcad v28

i think it may look like this:
    1. Can the controller be setup to work
    2. Do you need or can you replace it with another (mach3 etc.)

Either of these could lead you to another part of the forum for help with stuff like "servos and pcb's etc)...

But start here to get some good direction.

maybe the current controller will WORK!

(Edit) looks like barrie knows a bit about your machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tech1AZ View Post
    Hi Tech

Take a look at this on youtube, might answer a lot of your questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As0myXMCHYg

Barrie

Page 2 of 4 1234