586,801 active members*
6,448 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Bobcad V28 won't let me pocket part with a 1/4" end mill

Bobcad V28 won't let me pocket part with a 1/4" end mill

Hey guys,

BC won't allow me to use a .250" end mill for the pocket routine. It won't compute the tool path for it. If I enter in .125" for a bit size, it will compute just fine. At first I thought maybe one of the radius was too small but they aren't.

Can someone please check out the attached part and tell me why it won't work with a .250" EM for the pocket? The file is inside the attached .zip

Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Bobcad V28 won't let me pocket part with a 1/4" end mill

Rotax;
    I didn't look beyond this first issue, but I believe for starters, there are geometry issues with the internal shape - I tried to chain select the internal shape, and all BBCD recognized (grabbed) was what is shown in red. This means one segment does not end where the previous one begins. My suggestion is to fix this and see if that solves your issue.

Hope this helps.

Hey ShortTrack,

Thanks for checking this out for me. I never zoomed in nearly as far as you. I clearly see there is some geometry issues with the shape. I'm going to examine my file right now. That way it's fixed for the next part run.

Update: Cleaning up that worked!!! I used the Trim Extend / Two Entities function. Did you just happen to zoom in and find that or was there a function that found it?

Thanks again.

ShortTrack has it right, with the geometry trimmed it works just fine so you will be good to go if you fix as per his suggestion

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

P.S. Ah, I see you have already done it, if geometry won`t chain select in one go then there will always be a problem so you zoom right in at the ends of the highlighted section. Quick trim will do it as well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rotax91 Pocket.JPG  

Thanks Engine Guy for the tip. Appreciate the additional help. :cheers:

One way to look for those is to chain select the geometry and if it doesn't complete the chain wherever it stopped is where the issue is. There are instances though where very small gaps will still chain select but will cause issues with cam or BOBFart features. Those are fun when I load a big vector file that has tiny gaps all over it but all of it chain selects fine. Makes me hate my life with that junk. Wish BCC had a tab for finding open geometry.

Entities summary,,,make sure all 2D Geometry is on same plane

Clean-up/Optimize also

Quote Originally Posted by Beansdiesel View Post
    One way to look for those is to chain select the geometry and if it doesn't complete the chain wherever it stopped is where the issue is. There are instances though where very small gaps will still chain select but will cause issues with cam or BOBart features. Those are fun when I load a big vector file that has tiny gaps all over it but all of it chain selects fine. Makes me hate my life with that junk. Wish BCC had a tab for finding open geometry.
    You can go to Preferences-part and on the system tab up the chain selection tolerance.. It's default is .001, so anything smaller than that will chain select.. Try a setting of .0001 (Your cam tolerances are .0001 and .0005!!!!) Anyway, you can up that value so almost nothing that isn't connected will chain, so you can find the ends pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    You can go to Preferences-part and on the system tab up the chain selection tolerance.. It's default is .001, so anything smaller than that will chain select.. Try a setting of .0001 (Your cam tolerances are .0001 and .0005!!!!) Anyway, you can up that value so almost nothing that isn't connected will chain, so you can find the ends pretty quick.
    I have set that to the lowest setting possible and it still chain select even though there is a gap. The biggest issue I have had with those tiny gaps is in Bobfart and generating embossings at a high resolution. The open geo will leave lines through the embossing. Turn down the stock resolution and it won't have the lines. It can be crazy maddening trying to hunt down gaps that are smaller then .0001".

I have set that to the lowest setting possible and it still chain select even though there is a gap. ".
    You mean you set it to .000000000000001????? And it still selects over a gap?

You mean you set it to .000000000000001????? And it still selects over a gap?
    On mine with v27 if I go past .0001 then it is just .00000000000 and then it will not chain select no mater how air tight it is. Put in 0's until the 1 goes out of the box, then start deleting zeros and all you will wind up with is zeros. It will show the 1 until you click out of the box or hit Apply.

On mine with v27 if I go past .0001 then it is just .00000000000 and then it will not chain select no mater how air tight it is. Put in 0's until the 1 goes out of the box, then start deleting zeros and all you will wind up with is zeros. It will show the 1 until you click out of the box or hit Apply.
    If you want to "see" the 1, you will need to set your decimal places to how far out you set it for.

if its not chaining, theres a gap!

If you can post an example i can make a video.

If you want to "see" the 1, you will need to set your decimal places to how far out you set it for.

if its not chaining, theres a gap!

If you can post an example i can make a video.
    Ok, I got it now. Didnt realize I had to change the number of decimal points to get it to work. If the decimals are not set to enough then when the 1 goes out of the box I am pretty sure it is gone. So if in the Chain Select box there is only room for .0001 if you put in another 0 and bump the 1 out of the box the Chain Select is now .0000" and will not chain select anything.

This will come in handy in the future knowing I can change that setting and find the breaks!

Ok, I got it now. Didnt realize I had to change the number of decimal points to get it to work. If the decimals are not set to enough then when the 1 goes out of the box I am pretty sure it is gone. So if in the Chain Select box there is only room for .0001 if you put in another 0 and bump the 1 out of the box the Chain Select is now .0000" and will not chain select anything.

This will come in handy in the future knowing I can change that setting and find the breaks!
    Hey Bean,
    Actually it does work, with a caveat.... "Re-editing that dialogue" without the decimal places available will drop it... (This is what you are seeing)..

I think it is intended, because if it held that hidden value between edits, someone who wants to work at THEIR particular settings, will have issues. We would all be forced to set the decimal view at "15" to be able to function.... (inevitably)...

Here's a quick video showing how the setting affects the chain.

https://youtu.be/GOGx-9kw9oM

I make a gap that is .0001 in distance. Setting the tolerance to .0001 has it still select because it is within the params. Going 1 decimal up has the chain break as it's past the tolerance.

Notice the last digit disappears, but is still set when I change my decimal params to see it. As soon as I edit the tolerance value "WITHOUT the last digit in VIEW", it is lost, and would need to be reset.

Anyway