586,762 active members*
7,416 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

EDM Resin Pump

Hey everyone,

I have a Sodick A325 here in the shop that is having resistivity issues. Both the filters and the resin tank have been changed out, but the meter is still around 1 when the trigger is set at 5. I took a look at the system and found that the pump isn't sending water into the resin tank. I checked the power and it's not receiving any from the control side. The meter is triggered though...

Any idea why the pump isn't getting power?

Re: EDM Resin Pump

If your system works the same as most, 5 is a higher level of conductive material. Tap water would be somewhere above 5, maybe 10 or 15, I don't know. But, as it is run through the resin, the contaminates are removed and water goes down to 4, 3, 2, 1 or whatever you need.

To make it go back up, you must add conductive material by adding tap water. The system is not designed to put contaminates back in. Don't know the size of you water system, but try adding a couple of gallon of tap water and see what the level is. Do not use reverse osmosis water has much of the contaminates have already been removed.

Good luck----------Mike

P.S.: The pump that runs water into you resin system will not run unless it is trying to "lower" the number. You have to raise it.
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    If your system works the same as most, 5 is a higher level of conductive material. Tap water would be somewhere above 5, maybe 10 or 15, I don't know. But, as it is run through the resin, the contaminates are removed and water goes down to 4, 3, 2, 1 or whatever you need.

To make it go back up, you must add conductive material by adding tap water. The system is not designed to put contaminates back in. Don't know the size of you water system, but try adding a couple of gallon of tap water and see what the level is. Do not use reverse osmosis water has much of the contaminates have already been removed.

Good luck----------Mike

P.S.: The pump that runs water into you resin system will not run unless it is trying to "lower" the number. You have to raise it.
    I might be wrong, but I think you are talking about conductivity. The cleaner the water, the lower is the number.
    The meter on the picture measures resistivity, which is the opposite of conductivity. The cleaner the water, the higher is the number. If the limit is set to 5*10E4 Ohms*cm and the meter reads 1*10E4, the water has too many contaminants and must be run through the cleaner.

You are correct, although it maybe a difference without a distinction. He needs to check the manual to see.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

The problem was two-fold. The pump itself was frozen. I had to break it down to get it spinning again. On top of that, there was a breaker behind on the other side of the control box where that meter is located that had tripped. It's most likely that the pump froze up and tripped the breaker.

Hopefully that means that you are back up and running.

Mike