586,812 active members*
6,915 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Toolpath cuts through some objects -

Toolpath cuts through some objects -

I'm fairly new to drawing 3D objects in BobCad (V27) and ran into a interesting issue. I have a pretty simple shape of a coupler and I forgot to add the center pin. I added it and my toolpath cuts right through it like it's not there. The other pins are fine, it's like the inner circle is not connected to the bottom of the part, so when I select the bottom as the geometry, it's not part of it.

Perhaps my method is wrong.

1. Draw 2D drawing from the top down. Couple circles for the outside, and then the inner pins.
    2. Extrude the part up, selecting all the parts. This leaves a tube shape with the pins floating in air.
    3. Extrude the lower circle down, this makes the bottom of the cup.

When I realized I forgot the center pin, I just created a cylinder with the base at 0,0,0, I tried to create another inner circle but I could never select it to extrude it like I did with the other.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Re: Toolpath cuts through some objects -

Have you tried a Boolean Add to make your new component part of the main solid?

That did the trick. Thanks, I was thinking I needed to add these together somehow.

To run 3D features not everything has to be combined into a solid. The Geometry you select can be made up of solids or surfaces or any combo of them. You can even have a surface hovering above a solid and when selected all together your tool will go over the top of the floating surface and then back down if that makes sense. I attached a quick solid I made up with a hovering small surface and used a simple planar on it for an example. This is also a quick way to keep a 3D op from going down into holes or something like that instead of using a boundry.

Thanks Bean I didnt know that! But what about the opposit approach. In your model can you machine the torus with spiral and the surface with slice planer? Without the spiral crashing the surface. (Inside boundry or Z limits or something?)
    The control or this thread will now be returned to the Original Poster.

Quote Originally Posted by LeWhite View Post
    Thanks Bean I didnt know that! But what about the opposit approach. In your model can you machine the torus with spiral and the surface with slice planer? Without the spiral crashing the surface. (Inside boundry or Z limits or something?)
    The control or this thread will now be returned to the Original Poster.
    I just used planar as a quick example. It should follow the same geometry no matter what feature set you choose to use.