586,619 active members*
2,354 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: GRIPE TIME

GRIPE TIME

I really like my PCNC 1100 that will be 5 years old next month.

About 3 months ago, I bought 2 vises, P/N 31759-SET.

I don't like the handles that came with them so I made some that fit my needs more. That's fine.

Today is when the gripe comes into play. The hex on these vises is 14.5MM. a 14MM socket won't fit, and a 15MM socket is way too big. I'm getting ready to do a job where i want to use a torque wrench, and I can't find a 3/8 drive socket that fits.

A 14MM won't fit and I don't want to use a 15MM because I don't want to round the corners of the hex off.

What's a fellow to do?

OK, I'm done now. LOL
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Re: GRIPE TIME

This might be a solution...
    https://www.amazon.com/T-One-3D14-5-....5mm%22+socket

Biggest problem is that it's a 12-point. Perhaps with some more searching you could find a 6-point version.

Don't know if it changed in the last few years but I DO remember this speedbump; I believe 9/16 was a decent fit.

Guess Conquest Industries wants you to buy replacement handles from them.

You can get some 12pt 14.5mm sockets on Amazon, as this last thread on this topic discusses. Not ideal, but it works.

Tormach 5" CNC Vise handle/hex/socket is non-standard
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    This might be a solution...
    https://www.amazon.com/T-One-3D14-5-....5mm%22+socket

Biggest problem is that it's a 12-point. Perhaps with some more searching you could find a 6-point version.
    Thanks for this. I checked it out and ordered 3 of them.

The absolute best way to insure you'll lose one is to only buy one.

I have the 5" machinist vice and tossed the big handle in a tool box after just a few days.
    I started using a ratchet box end wrench and found it worked so well that I have never considered using anything else.
    It is thin and can be left on vice when using cordless screw gun with socket to open and close jaws a few inches if needed.
    Something to consider and I often wondered why I don't see more people use them. "Of course it is a standard size not special"

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Something to consider and I often wondered why I don't see more people use them.
    I have the 5-in Ang-lock-type Tormach vise and use a 3/4-in ratchet box wrench with that the same way. Works a treat.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    I have the 5-in Ang-lock-type Tormach vise and use a 3/4-in ratchet box wrench with that the same way. Works a treat.

I took the approach of using a heavy handle with lots of inertia. The handle connects to the vise with a 9/16 6-point deep well socket. It's very fast to open/close and it clears my enclosure so no crashes with a misplaced handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I really like my PCNC 1100 that will be 5 years old next month.

About 3 months ago, I bought 2 vises, P/N 31759-SET.

I don't like the handles that came with them so I made some that fit my needs more. That's fine.

Today is when the gripe comes into play. The hex on these vises is 14.5MM. a 14MM socket won't fit, and a 15MM socket is way too big. I'm getting ready to do a job where i want to use a torque wrench, and I can't find a 3/8 drive socket that fits.

A 14MM won't fit and I don't want to use a 15MM because I don't want to round the corners of the hex off.

What's a fellow to do?

OK, I'm done now. LOL
    That's what's great about having a cnc mill.
    You can make your own. I made a vise handle that's easy on the hands,plenty ofleverage,speed spin to oven and close, and does not have to be removed.

Silly me, I just thought that it was 9/16" since a ratchet wrench works great on mind.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatchman View Post
    Silly me, I just thought that it was 9/16" since a ratchet wrench works great on mind.

gary

I tried a 9/16 socket and it was just big enough to be too small.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I tried a 9/16 socket and it was just big enough to be too small.
    +10!

Try a cheaper socket...(I have a HF set that sometimes fits where the good stuff won't)