586,991 active members*
3,251 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser occasionally makes a perforated cut

My laser all of a sudden seems to be make a perforated cut occasionally when I am cutting straight lines. So it will cut nice and clean and all of a sudden do a part of the line perforated or in dots equally spaced apart. There is no rhyme or reason to it. It could cut 3-4 lines and then cut a small section of the next line perforated. I can't detect any pattern. So I am wondering if anyone else has seen this at all? The laser I have is the large Black and Red Kehui laser that looks like a redsail.

I did a search to see if I could find anyone else with the same problem and could not exactly find any match. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Laser occasionally makes a perforated cut

Dear Brownsfn2,

Sometimes this can be a mechanical problem. It can happen because the laser focus tube tension pivot is not providing tension.so that the focal assembly is not held tightly to the rail. When this happens, you can grab the tube in your hand and rock it back and forth easily in the direction of the X axis. This can cause all kinds of problems, from perforations in a cut, to ghosting of the image. What happens is that the focal tube, when its' tensioner is loose, will flip back and forth when the drive belts are moving, allowing the laser to burn to long in some areas and not have enough burn in others. The check is easy, just grab the focal tube and try to rock it back and forth in the direction of the X axis rail. It should not be able to move up and down or go side to side. If it does shake, rattle and roll, then you will need to trouble shoot the laser focal head. It can be worn nylon rollers, a broken or missing tension spring or i have even seen mis-assembly. Good Luck and hope this helps. - Rinconchuck