586,271 active members*
3,224 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Anyone using KERK screws on CNC mills?

Anyone using KERK screws on CNC mills?

I have read claims about their screws saying they can be better than ground ball screws in most situation... zero backlash at 90% less cost. Might be a good alternative to using rolled ballscrews.

http://www.kerkmotion.com/

I think they have a decent product, I've had them on my toy router. There is no backlash, very smooth motion.

The nuts are made of some sort of plastic, I would never use them on any serious "production" machine, and the price is not "90% less".

Decent 0.5" ground C5 ballscrew can be found at $500.

I don't think Kerk will sell you their 0.5" equivalent for less than $250, it's a boutique manufacturer.

But yes, these screws are very smooth and acurate..You can find them on Ebay for $10-$20 and there is no better choice for hobby toy routers..

opinion about acme vs ballscrew

Quote Originally Posted by Smertrios View Post
    I have read claims about their screws saying they can be better than ground ball screws in most situation... zero backlash at 90% less cost. Might be a good alternative to using rolled ballscrews.

http://www.kerkmotion.com/
    hi
    i have a little 12x18 workenvelope router... but i use it just for wood and plastic...
    there is a limited loadcapacity for the kerkscrews... for example the 1/2 inch dia, about 25 pound.... as they stated...
    i use it with 1/8 and 1/4 dia roterbits

i'm satisfied with their products...
    about cost, a 30 inch long 1/2 dia with nut about 80 plus h&s...

for this price you get a screw what you can replace anytime, with same quality....
    a similar ballscrew really expenses, if you buy from a brand... like skf or thompson...

but there is a big different, the loadcapacity... a ballscrew about 100x more load can carry... for metallworking only this is the option.... a trapezoidal threatment can not come close to a ballscrew...

so my opinion, for light woodwork and plastic the kerkscrew is pretty enough, but for retrofit or a professional router really only option the ballscrew

the isel company has 16mm dia screw with more flange option... their products distributed by techno isel... i used it in router and it was working well...

of course any of ballbearingcompany's screw perfect...