586,741 active members*
3,277 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lathe Feeds and Speeds

Im just starting to do a couple runs on my slant bed using some of the tooling tormach sells Ie basic tormach turning and parting tools. Does anyone have any basic feeds and speeds tips/starting point. I'm cutting 1" aluminum. My test parts come out with pretty smooth surface finish but a lot of the edges are burred as if I'm pushing too much material. I'm dry cutting right now but coolant gets here in a couple days. Just looking for general aluminum cutting tips i guess.

Jesse

Re: Lathe Feeds and Speeds

This sheet lives right above my lathe:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speeds_&_Feeds.pdf  

I generally run .005 in/rev for roughing and cut about .010 for depth. For Finish I use .002 in/rev and .005 for depth of cut...

It runs much better with coolant.

Chris

Are you using the polished aluminum inserts that Tormach (and others) sells? Their SCLCR-12C toolholder comes with one and does a nice job on aluminum. The gold-colored inserts on the other Tormach tools don't seem anywhere near as nice for aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by cbyrd View Post
    I generally run .005 in/rev for roughing and cut about .010 for depth. For Finish I use .002 in/rev and .005 for depth of cut...

It runs much better with coolant.

Chris
    These numbers seem really low to me. On aluminum with Korloy polished inserts, I have been having great luck with about 0.100" DOC at 3000 RPM and 0.015" IPR for roughing. I finish at 0.003" DOC (to reduce stringing) and 0.005 IPR.

These numbers don't even jiggle my load meter (although it's not the Tormach, so YMMV). Let us know what works for you!

awesome guys perfecto. Thanks a ton. I'll report back .

FWIW, I have both G-Wizard and HSMAdvisor, for F&S data, but am coming to appreciate the latter more and more. G-Wizard's slowness to load, frequent upgrades (which often require downloads for me), and lack of an Android tool for my Smartphone just get to be too annoying after a while. Updating AIR, which GW needs is also a bit of a hassle when you just want to get some quick numbers.

Sandvik Coromant has a couple pdf references that explain in detail the math behind turning , parting, grooving threading, milling, drilling, boring and machinability. Over time this has become a great reference even for single phase tools like I use. Learn a little here and there and build spreadsheets in excel to tune the math and results. For fast and furious numbers hsmadvisor is decent tool for mill for all the reasons Mike mentioned above. So hard to keep a clean reliable software stack on a computer then add unneeded complexity for updates and over time your workstation becomes one big software patch.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Sandvik Coromant has a couple pdf references that explain in detail the math behind turning , parting, grooving threading, milling, drilling, boring and machinability.
    Do you have a link to those pdf files? I am very interested. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    This sheet lives right above my lathe:
    Thanks. Is there a similar sheet for plastics as well?

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Do you have a link to those pdf files? I am very interested. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. Is there a similar sheet for plastics as well?
    For some reason I could not find a decent link to pdf file
    This link provides the info in html web page format. And I see why. They have added 5x more information then last time I was on their site.
    Knowledge
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    For some reason I could not find a decent link to pdf file
    This link provides the info in html web page format. And I see why. They have added 5x more information then last time I was on their site.
    Knowledge
    Hope this helps
    I think this might be the doc MD was referring to, it is quite helpful! Can't remember where I found it online, but it is great for explaining tool nose radius and DOC/WOC parameters.

EDIT: Removed link - MichaelHenry's link below is much more comprehensive and has the same document plus many other helpful docs!

Good luck!

Here's another link to tech info for Sandvik:

http://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-g...q=Publications

That lathe turning handbook and a general machining handbook links are available there as well as a whole bunch of other resource documents.