586,326 active members*
4,284 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool the finishing pass

I currently leave .015 material for my finishing pass. Most of my stuff gets polished, and I have been thinking about making this measurment a littlle greater. My results are pretty good, but I think I could get a better finish, thus less work on the deburring and finishing wheel. Thus saving some time...

Can anyone tell me, what the standard/recommended amount of material being removed during a finishing pass may be?

Also will conventional or climb milling make much of a differance in my finish pass?

Since material may differ, let's say aluminum and steel.

Thanks,
    Kenny
    "Plan your work; Work your plan"

Climb mill with carbide. There's nothing wrong with .015" to finish if you want accuracy.

What kind of controller are you running? Are you doing 3d work? What I am driving at here, is if your program consists of many short segments, then it becomes essential that your controller can read them fast enough to maintain a steady feedrate. Data starvation leads to dwell marks on the work, no matter what. The solution for that is to upgrade to a controller with plenty of lookahead. That's what I am doing
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

When I'm working in mastercam I usually leave about 10 thou. It's enough to be cut away but at the same time not enough to make the tool wonder. In the finish pass you have quite a bit of room anywhere from 5 to 20 or 30 above, Not sure what ideal is but I'd say your 15 is pretty close,

Thanks for your input, it is truly appreciated.

My controller is a Fanuc 6, it seems to do well, and I normally make my segments as long as possible. Not too much 3D stuff, mostly 2D.

Even though I use approach and depart methods, the .015 being close still gives a gouge or two for me to deal with from time to time. I figure it's due to raduis cuts in combination with cutter sharpness and speed & feed.

Like many people, I like the automated machining aspect, it's the final deburring and polishing that's dirty and time consuming.
    "Plan your work; Work your plan"

try arc in and out for the leadin; this will create a better finish