586,616 active members*
2,413 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

E stop not letting machine run

So, my 440 came home and is now setup. After I wired up the machine I proceed to turn it on. But the the e stop is preventing me from doing anything. I checked all the wiring and everything is secured. I reboot everything but the e stop is still preventing me to do anything. Anyone have any clues what is wrong?

Re: E stop not letting machine run

Dumb questions here, did you twist the red button clockwise and here it click out then push the green button next to it?
    On my 1100, I reassembled the red button improperly after taking it apart to mount the box on the enclosure.
    I could not start the machine until assembling the button right.

Quote Originally Posted by oneineight View Post
    Dumb questions here, did you twist the red button clockwise and here it click out then push the green button next to it?
    On my 1100, I reassembled the red button improperly after taking it apart to mount the box on the enclosure.
    I could not start the machine until assembling the button right.
    Hmmmm....i did twist the button clockwise and the e stop came assembled. I'll check to make sure everything was assembled right.

question: should the button be connected with NC or NO connectors?
    If it should be NC maybe button is broken (burnt connectors) and has some resistance.
    If NO maybe there is a short circuit inside.

I would check if there is power to the stepper drive in the cabinet(red leds if e-stopped). Does the cabinet fan come on? That uses the same 48VDC, If no DC power, I would look for a loose wire on power or neutral (give them a tug). That is most likely to be a problem that would occur from shipping.

Sorry, non-Tormach user here, but I'd still like to throw out a couple questions/ideas in an attempt to help. If speculation-based posts annoy anyone, skip this one...

Q: Why do you think it's the e-stop? Is PathPilot displaying a specific message, like "the e-stop button is depressed"?

Q: Assuming this problem does appear to be originating with the physical switch, would there be an easy way to swap the NO/NC condition from within PathPilot? As best as I can recall, in Mach3, you can go into "Ports and Pins", find the e-stop pin, and switch it from NO to NC (or visa-versa). Of course, if this solves your problem, you should focus your troubleshooting on the wiring/switch. It is NOT SAFE to run the machine without a functioning e-stop switch and you should make sure the change the setting back before using the machine.

Q: Does PathPilot have something that resembles the "Diagnostics" tab of Mach3? In other words, can nutzilla simply open a window in PathPilot and activate and deactivate the e-stop switch while watching a certain screen to see if the switch is working correctly?

Post a screen shot of the error msg on the status screen. That will help diagnose things.

I have a 770 and installed the external E-Stop, I discovered that the external E-Stop is wired NC - I think it's wired in line with the internal E-Stop. So my guess (though you have a 440) is that the E-Stop is NC while operating and goes NO when you press the Stop Button.

I called the place I purchased it from and figured it out you have to push the green button after you release the e stop and then reset on path pilot.

Now that you mention it, I remember scratching my head the first time I powered up about that sequence.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.