586,968 active members*
3,028 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > How long does data in SDRAM last without power?

Hybrid View

How long does data in SDRAM last without power?

Please forgive me if this has been covered already, but I am new to any sort of CNC controller, including Fanuc and I have question regarding the controller memory and the battery that keeps the memory in the SRAM safe.

You see, my work just purchase our first CNC machines, one of them being a used "FIRST VMC-24", also called a V600 and it has a Fanuc oi-MC controller. Now the machine was still under power and being used as of 7 days ago, but since we received it I have not had the chance to get it powered up, as I still need to get a transformer. Now I am not sure when I will be able to get power to it, but it could be a couple weeks at least. The previous owner of the machine mentioned that I should get it powered up as soon as possible, in order not to lose the settings stored in the memory, as the battery may not provide back-up power long enough to keep the memory. He did tell me he has had to replace the battery before, but was not sure how long ago was the last time it was done.

My questions are:

1) How long can a machine sit without power, before the memory will be lost due to a dead battery?

2) Are the setting stored in the SRAM the only data that can be lost if the battery goes dead and how important are these settings?

3) If I am able to get the machine powered up temporarily, is there a way I can back-up these settings on a memory card just in case?

Thank you,
    CB

Re: How long does data in SDRAM last without power?

with no power i think will be around 1 year untill you will loose the parameters,the sram is write on the flashrom ,like a hard disk,so will be no problemand yes you can back all up via memory card .For that you will need to set the I/O device to =4 and that is all.

1: the batteries backing up the the sram (NOT SDRAM) data will be good for months.
    2: yes
    3: use the BOOT BACKUP procedure in the maintenance manual.

Thank you for your quick responses.