587,006 active members*
3,045 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Step motor & driver/controller kits info ?

Step motor & driver/controller kits info ?

Hi all,

New to this CNC world and I’m looking forward in making soon my own CNC woodworking router.
    Machine frame & slides, I’m ok with that !
    On the other hand, and most likely the MOST important, for the electronic part (controller, drivers & motors) I know squat !!
    To simplify my entry in this captivating CNC DIY world, I think it would be wise for me to acquire a user friendly motor/controller package kit with Mach 3 ?

I’ve seen Xylotex 4 axis kit, not expensive but not that great. I say that because my understanding from other threads in this community ( DIY-CNC router Table Machines ) about this kit is it barely reaches 80 IPM !!
    Not looking for 1000 ipm ether, mind you it would be nice, but a reasonable 300 +ipm seems a reasonable range !! ??
    Any suggestion, comments and recommendation would be VERY much appreciated.

Robert M

why 300 IPM?, What will you be machining with it? You will need huge ballscrews to move that fast, you need to check on the price of those unless money is no object.

Hi GaryCorlew.
    No ballscrew !
    I’m designing my version with rack & pinon!
    Also hopping to get the availability for a 4th axis (for turnings) in this kit !!.

What will you be machining with it?
    All type of wood & wood composites!

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert M View Post

I’ve seen Xylotex 4 axis kit, not expensive but not that great. I say that because my understanding from other threads in this community ( DIY-CNC router Table Machines ) about this kit is it barely reaches 80 IPM !!
    Actually, the Xylotex is a great drive. Maybe not for your application, though. I've read posts from Xylotex users getting 300+ipm with rack and pinion. But there are a lot of factors involved. You don't say how big the machine is, or how much weight you need to push around. Also add cutting forces in,

Realistically, if you want to get into the 300 ipm and higher range, you need to run higher voltages and higher current motors than the inexpensive drives can handle. This usually means Gecko drives, although there are other options. The only "kits" that I'm aware of in this range can be found here. http://www.camtronics-cnc.com/

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Gerry !
    When you say other option, what can tell me more ??
    I’ve look into the new G203v last November when they came out, but I think at my level of knowledge it may just get to complicated to make my own controller / electronics. Do I assume right ??
    Again, if I could be told how to go around making my own controller/motor kits… this could get VERY exiting !!! Books maybe ?? I will see that later.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting in ANY form that the Xylotex is not good and/or great.
    It sure serves its purpose to many, as I read.
    Also I should be the last to say anything wrong about it, heck I know didly squat on this subject. It’ just I’ve just accumulated info on it and concluded it’s not what I may want or should consider for what I’m expecting!

Money is a concern, but I have a say “ I’m just to poor to buy cheep and/or what I don’t need ”
    Went to see camtronics web site. Can’t really see motor/controller kits, but I’m sure if I give them a call, something can be arrange??
    Will let you know!

Thanks again, Robert

Robert, I'm sure no electronic Genius, but I have read the Gecko literature over and over, and perused the zone and I think the pile of parts I am aquiring will work. It looks to me like a "kit" costs 25% to 50% more than it's componant parts cost, and anybody buying a "kit" would be wise to DO all the math and make sure they are an informed buyer anyway. it is sort of like a nuclear reactor kit hehe....maybe you could buy it, wire it, and fire it without really understanding it, but then when it stops working (or goes chernobyl) your gonna have to do the footwork and learn how it works anyway :-)

The 203v is almost impossible to kill from what I'm reading...........up around 1000-1100 oz/in steppers seem to be the upper end of what a 203v will run, sure larger stuff can be used but the motor isnt getting all it would like to be really happy.

I bought new stepper motors from kelingnc but I shopped and shopped and the real deal maker is that many of the guys that sell new motors also give you a break on mach 3 or the gecko's if you buy motors too..

My Knee mill will have 1 G201 and 2 G203v to start off, I bought the G201 before I really learned a lot on the G203v....and after it is all working I will probably buy a 3rd G203v and put the G201 aside for a spare...it is well worth the $99 I paid for it even for that use.

Bill