586,923 active members*
2,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Needing Direction

Greetings all,

My name is Ray, I'm from Toledo, Ohio and I'm starting the controller phase of my CNC router build.

As far as the machine goes it's a 3 axis fixed X gantry design.
    26 inches on the X, 39 inches on the Y, I can go up to 12 inches in the Z.
    Its an aluminum profile build, like 80-20, but metric. mostly 45x90 heavy wall Bosh-Rexroth, with a smattering of other manufacturers too.

I'm a machinery repairman by trade, early on I was a journeyman machinist, and in between those trades I did a 7 year stint as a machine fabricator.

I've built most of the machine from reclaimed profile.
    The X and Y screws are 1605 Asian rolled ball screws and anti backlash nuts.

As for the controller part, I'm pretty much sold on using a G540.

Picking motors is being a bit difficult for me. I see a lot of 425 oz motors advertised as being 3 amps, and compatible with the G540's 3.5 amp per axis rating, but they will often claim a 9uH winding.
    When I run the number according to the G540 manual,the motor would require: the square root of 9uh*32= 98V , well above what the G540 is rated at.
    It seems that most 280 oz motors fit the bill pretty well, sqrt 3.5uh*32=59v

Am I on the right track here?
    how much am I loosing by running at 48v?
    At only 280 oz running at 80% power (48v) what kind of performance can I expect?

Oh!, and that 48V PSU,
    The manual says a simple PSU is best, I could build one, but I see a lot of switching power supplys being used.
    If I did build one, by time I bought the transformer and other sundries, I'm close to the same price as a switching PSU.

There is soooooo much information out there its hard to sort through it all, I have a difficult time even sorting through it all here on this forum.

Any constructive help is appreciated, I would hate to waste time and money going down the wrong path, or expecting more from a system that just won't deliver it.

Ray

Re: Needing Direction

These are 2.2mH.
    http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...flat-282-oz-in

If you had 1610 screws, I'd say that the 380oz motors would be a better choice, but the 280's should spin faster, which you need with 5mm pitch screws.

The 425oz motors would be a terrible choice with a G540.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I will suggest that you look at the matched sets with cables, motors, G540 and power supply that CNC Router Parts sells.
    3-Axis DIY NEMA 23 Electronics Kit | CNCRouterParts

You may save a little grief with it and support is first class. It also gives you peace of mind knowing that it is all selected to work well together.
    Lee

Thanks for the recommendation Gerry.
    Those motors look like a good match for the G540.
    Also the price is definitely in my budget range