587,048 active members*
2,540 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser cutting Acrylic Smell Solution

Hi! Not sure if anyone can help! I have a Universal desktop laser in my garage which I use to cut acrylic (approx 1to 2 hours per day, so light usage). It's attached to a Purex air filtration cart which I use with Purex HEPA chemical filters etc. but for some reason, the smell from cutting acrylic is still overwhelming. I've checked the hose attachment for leaks but there doesn't seem to be any. I've seen the exact same system used in public spaces at trade shows etc and there never seems to be a strong odour when they're in use. Anyone have any ideas on what else I can do?

Re: Laser cutting Acrylic Smell Solution

Charcoal is used for absorbing the smell. I can't recall where you can buy in bulk (oh yeah, hydroponic stores for the pot growers have it). Build a box that the exhaust will filter through loose pellets of the charcoal then out...think box with inlet, steel mesh, pellets, more mesh, outlet pipe.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

Of course, if the chemical filters already have charcoal in them, then maybe just new ones or maybe it's not enough to absorb everything with your airflow

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

Hi Sarah, I know this is not the solution you are asking for, but different brands of acrylic smell very different. Some smell significantly less and even have fragrances in them so they are more pleasant to work with.

It seems no good solution for this. Smoke and dust can be solved although.
    G.Weike Laser
    [email protected] [email protected] skype:melody.gweike

Don't open the cover right away when your job is finished.

I have found that the largest contributor to the stench is the plastic film on both sides of the acrylic. I have been removing the film prior to cutting and putting my sheet stock on some 1/4" acrylic disks I have cut.

My smell is pretty much gone when I do that. I also make sure that the cut paths won't pass over one of the disks I am using because then you get a weird flashing where it tried going thru double-thickness.

The other thing you can do is leave your blower on and get the film off as quick as you can and throw it in a trashcan outside.

Wade

Hepa's are for particulates not smell. Use a charcol or carbon filter for smell. You can even make yourself by buying activated charcoal at any pet store ( used in aquariums). That will remove smell

I've found the same thing, it's the plastic or perhaps even more the adhesive that's used to hold the plastic protection on. I was told once that the light tack adhesive on the protective plastic or paper put on acrylic/lexan sheeting is what causes the bad odor when laser cutting. I've experimented and found the same thing you have, peel it off first and nearly zero odor during cutting.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk