586,741 active members*
3,325 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Question about the power of the spindle on the Torus Pro
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: Question about the power of the spindle on the Torus Pro

Quote Originally Posted by keithmcelhinney View Post
    I changed my accel value to .5 and big difference in startup. My deccel was set at 1. Wondering if that is why I have had so many issues with my bob...

Going to cut this weekend and see if it makes a difference. Would be pretty awesome if it does.

-Keith
    My deccel is set at 2.0 and has been set there since last July without any issues...I raised it to 4 then 3 as John suggested and quickly found I don't have the patience to wait that long for every tool change...so I went back to 2.0, not suggesting it, just saying I haven't had an issue at 2.0 without a breaking resistor...

Ray

It's ok to set the decel to the lowest value that DOESN'T cause any VFD fault - usually 2-4 seconds, but likely varies from machine to machine.

Personally, I think the braking resistor is money well spent - my spindle stops from 6K RPM in under a second.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by mklotz70 View Post
    I have my accel/deccel values set at .3 I do have a braking resistor.

I also had to lower the dwell setting in mach3.

Did the link work in my last post?
    0.3, nice! I too tried the link, but it went to the login page for me too. I don't have an Instagram account for some reason.

I'm guessing this is the video you wanted to share...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BBN1FIoJbDf/
    Or this one...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BBN1xwVJbE5/

Here's a lil' vid I put up as well... (I believe the setting I'm using here is 0.5, but mklotz' video is noticeably better, and he's sure about his setting, so take my "0.5" with a grain of salt.).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFKXTlaqypQ

Sorry about the IG link. I was afraid that you'd need an account to watch it. I have an account, so I'm not sure if I'm seeing Hirudin's links because I do, or because he had a better way to link. Either way, I went ahead and posted it to youtube.

https://youtu.be/YT-JvYAmL80
    Don't have to be too bright to be me

So I did my first real cut with my accel/dec rates changed and it is like a whole new machine. A cut that should have been easy (Ray does much harder cuts) used to bog the machine a little bit. It cruised through it so easily that I upped my feed rate by 30% and it still didn't struggle. I was using a 2 fl HSS 1/2" endmill doing .52 DOC with .14 stepover (HSM) going 52ipm. Before if I did a .11 stepover at 40ipm the spindle started slowing. So psyched!

-Keith

Awesome!! What settings did you end up using? That way they're here for reference.

Accel = .5
    Dec = 3

-Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Ahamay17 View Post
    I am currently running our production out of 1/2" 6061-T6 flat bar, cutting with a HTC solid carbide 3 flute 38* helix 1/4" dia with .750" loc and .950" stick out...I have the RPM set to 6000, feed rate at 23 ipm, doc .255", woc .250" - I just looked and during the cut the spindle speed drops to 5800 rpm and the load meter shows 43%, and if I ramp the feeds up any the spindle just continues bogging until it finally slows enough to trip the VFD and breaks the end mill... I can't break the same 1/4" end mill without bogging the spindle way down and the VFD shutting off first...

Ray
    An update.... I have been running for several weeks now the accel 1 (F0.10) value at 0.3, and the decel 1 F(0.11) at 1.5 without any issues...I have ran the decel value lower but nothing was gained, not have the braking resistor...

Currently we are getting a MRR of 3.1 cu in/min cutting 1/2" 6061-T6 flat bar using a Roughing HTC solid carbide 3 flute 45* helix 1/4" dia with .750" loc and .950" stick out...RPM set to 6000, feed rate at 48 ipm, doc .255", woc .250", this is more the double what I was able to get previously on our rough cuts, and I have been able to increase the feeds on final passes significantly as well, without any drop off in finish quality, and I feel I can get even more out of it... A MRR of 3.1 cu in/min from a 1/4 inch cutter allows us to do multi part fixtures and toolpaths using tabs for the scrap pieces rather then turning everything into chips, making the net result of a blank to finished parts an actual total MRR of around 6 cu in/min...I now absolutely love this machine and it's capabilities!!!

Ray

Hey Guys;
    Thanks for starting this thread since I've always questioned my spin up and down time. I've installed a 75 ohm breaking resistor and changed F0.10 to .3 and F0.11 to .3. It still takes approximately 6 seconds to spin up to 6K and as long or longer to spin down! All my settings are as listed on the Hirundin post above with the exception he noted. My results are nowhere near that of Mklotz post. I have the C300 1.5KW VFD on a torus Pro servo addition. Is there something else that I should be checking? I'm supplying the feed from a standard 100amp house breaker box. If the voltage was low I could see the slow spin up but the breaking resistor should be stopping it in a reasonable period. The test was performed with only a tool holder installed.
    Thougths anyone?
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Hey Guys;
    Thanks for starting this thread since I've always questioned my spin up and down time. I've installed a 75 ohm breaking resistor and changed F0.10 to .3 and F0.11 to .3. It still takes approximately 6 seconds to spin up to 6K and as long or longer to spin down! All my settings are as listed on the Hirundin post above with the exception he noted. My results are nowhere near that of Mklotz post. I have the C300 1.5KW VFD on a torus Pro servo addition. Is there something else that I should be checking? I'm supplying the feed from a standard 100amp house breaker box. If the voltage was low I could see the slow spin up but the breaking resistor should be stopping it in a reasonable period. The test was performed with only a tool holder installed.
    Thougths anyone?
    Bill
    I don't think the braking resistor can be used with the C300, at least that's what I remember John saying....

As for the settings, I would look at them again and make sure they were saved when you changed them, if not change them again and hit the "set" button to save them, and esc to back out...

Ray

I've been buried lately. I'll try to dig out the paperwork again, go through my settings and post them up like Hirundin did.

Thanks Guys;
    I would appreciate any help I can get. What is the latest VFD being marketed with the pro? I was under the assumption that I had the latest design (less the new stand) but the machine is 2 years old! Is there a need for upgrade maybe to a 2.2 instead of the 1.5KW? I will be retiring soon and will use the machine on a much more frequent basis! Might as well spend the money while I'm employed and can slide it by my home accountant easier (or at least get forgiveness easier)!
    Bill
    billyjack

Update!
    I checked my VFD settings and they are as programmed for a .3 spin-up and .3 spin-down. Still NO JOY!
    Wonder if John is finished unpacking yet! Don't want to bother them til they are back in business!
    Bill
    billyjack

IIRC, there were two different Sunfar VFDs used on the Pro. I believe very early machines may have used the 300, while later ones used the 300A. The difference may be the 300 does not support the braking resistor? The 300A for sure does, as I used one on mine for about two years.

Are you sure the resistor is connected properly?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    IIRC, there were two different Sunfar VFDs used on the Pro. I believe very early machines may have used the 300, while later ones used the 300A. The difference may be the 300 does not support the braking resistor? The 300A for sure does, as I used one on mine for about two years.

Are you sure the resistor is connected properly?

Regards,
    Ray L.
    I looked through my emails and John told me my C300A will not support the braking resistor, only their newest model, the GS2 will...

Are C300A and the 300A different animals?

I have the C300A with baking resistor. Works fine.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ahamay17 View Post
    I looked through my emails and John told me my C300A will not support the braking resistor, only their newest model, the GS2 will...

Are C300A and the 300A different animals?
    John is mistaken.... As I said, I seem to recall there was the C300, and the C300A. I believe John told me at one point one supported the braking resistor, and the other did not. Perhaps the C300 supports it, and the C300A does not. Which one do you have? I don't recall which is which, or even which one I have on the shelf (but I could look...), but mine absolutely DID support the braking resistor. He only switched to the GS2 within the last few months, as the C300 has gone out of production.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Please refer to the following link for info on installing a breaking resistor with the Sunfar C300 VFD.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/novako...82080-cnc.html

The Sunfar C300a does not have a circuit to support a Breaking Resistor. If you hook a Breaking Resistor to the Sunfar C300a, the VFD uses an internal resistor to slow the spindle and doing so can burn up the VFD.
    The Sunfar C300 VFD uses terminals P+ and PB for the braking resistor. Refer to the wiring diagram below.

Attachment 319132

Now I'm really confused. Yes, I'm sure the wiring/installation is correct as I did it using the manual and the guidance from the other thread. Is the 300A marked as so? I'll attempt to upload 4 pix showing my setting of acc and deacc. Also, my resistor is a 75 ohm and not the recommended 80 ohm. I wonder if this would impact braking. Buttttt, why is my spin up still long as compared to that shown by mklotz?
    Love this machine but it is still a mystery to me sometimes!
    Thanks for the posting guys!
    Bill
    billyjack

Bill,

Set the F0.10 parameter to 0.5 and the F0.11 parameter to 0.7 or higher. The C300 VFD will turn off the Braking Resistor if is senses too high of current is being used in stopping the spindle, thus requiring a longer time to stop it. You can experiment with different settings to see what works best for you.

Look for the model number on the VFD which will identify it as C300 or C300a

Page 2 of 3 123