586,762 active members*
8,451 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Lubrication Options/Oiling System Alternatives

Lubrication Options/Oiling System Alternatives

I converted a G0704 to CNC via an arizonavideo kit. My understanding is that CNC mills require a more intensive lubrication routine than manual setups, and have looked at various oiling systems on the web. I am not utilizing the mill for business purposes/daily use, and may in the future construct an oiling system if necessary. What are some other options to "one shot oiling systems" that will provide appropriate lubrication? Also, recommendations for lubricants. Thanks.

Re: Lubrication Options/Oiling System Alternatives

i use vactra number 2 and just apply it manually with a squirt can.

Vactra #2 all the way (pun completely intended).

I am like you. My machine sees only part time use. So I did a combination of one shot oiler and manual.

One shot oil for X & Y ways. and X ballscrew. - because they are hard to get to.

Manual oil for Y ballscrew, Z ballscrew and Z ways. - because its easy to do.

Here are some of my blog postings:

https://donstechnologyblog.wordpress...rf45-cnc-mill/

and another...

https://donstechnologyblog.wordpress...t-on-the-rf45/

I've always wondered if buying vactra was worth it for these smaller hobby grade machines. We don't get into the speeds, temperatures, or loading that a true VMC can. I personally am cheap and I use those last bits of motor oil left over from my oil changes for lube. It's free-ish and I've not seen any major wear on any of my machines over the 8 or so years I've been doing it.

dunno, its about $8 a quart and haven't gone through a whole quart yet, people said use it, it is the mobil 1 of ways oil, so i figure why not. i'd personally worry about used motor oil on the ways, unless its heavily filtered, but then i'm really hard on my car engines.

maybe i was unclear...I don't use used motor oil. I use the left overs that you always have when you do an oil change. That last little bit that's left in the bottle that you always wonder if you should just put it in to use up.

And funny enough I always use moble1 so that's that i'm running on my machines too.

haha, ok yes that makes more sense

Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    I've always wondered if buying vactra was worth it for these smaller hobby grade machines. We don't get into the speeds, temperatures, or loading that a true VMC can. I personally am cheap and I use those last bits of motor oil left over from my oil changes for lube. It's free-ish and I've not seen any major wear on any of my machines over the 8 or so years I've been doing it.
    As with the megabucks Kluber bearing grease, it is totally NOT worth it. Virtually any oil will do just fine. The loads and speeds are extremely low, and the total lifetime use will be the equivalent of a few days of use for a production machine.

Regards,
    Ray L.

so, and i'm, just repeating what i've been told here so go easy, that one of the differences is the formulation and 'tack' of the oil and how well it'll stick to the ways vs a normal 40 weight oil , the other formulation is for reuse/separation of coolant, but that's another story.

i mean sure, we're no where near the stress of a big machine, but if does stay on there better it might require less reapplication, and there are additives supposed to help protect it all, but are we talking an improved life span of 1 minute versus a year.

I use chain saw bar oil. It's tacky like way lube. You can get it at most hardware stores. I apply it from a squirt bottle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I use Vactra everywhere on my manual lathe but I use Shell branded high speed bearing grease No:2. for my CNC. That was a recommendation coming from some people. No:2 greases are supposed to be butter thickness but I suspect it is still thick for linear rails and ballscrews. Should I stop using grease? What do you think?