586,754 active members*
7,593 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > OT Software for DNC and Windows 10

OT Software for DNC and Windows 10

Just getting into using a OT-B and will need to communicate with it via the rs232. Wondering what software out there guys have been using that free and works. I'm sure I could get hyperterminal or something like that to work but I'm curious what everyone else is using with more modern operating systems.

On the flip side I do have some old computers. Is it better off dedicating one of them with an older OS like XP or something to this. I figured I would just use the computer I have in the shop now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Re: OT Software for DNC and Windows 10

AGG Software. DNC Precision and CNC Syntax Editor software.

Looks nice. I should mention it's only for one machine. I came across the free version from Cadem last night. Looked interesting except you couldn't drip feed. Was hoping to find a free solution even if it's not fancy. I just want it work.

cimco edit will do the trick.

I don't believe the 0T-B supports drip feeding (mine doesn't at least).

I wasn't able to find a good DNC application (that didn't seem to cost way more than it was worth), so I am writing a free open source tool that is platform agnostic in Python. I hope to have the beta version out soon.

I was pretty sure mine did. At least that's what I was told. Guess I need to verify that. Would love to try your app when it's done.

I think I'm gonna expand my memory first to the max. Looks easy enough.

Tested last night on my OT-B Lathe. I was able to send and receive data with no problems at all, xonxoff seems to be working great a well. For now the application is just command line, however, I have plans to put together a small GUI in the future.

https://github.com/wesparish/OpenDNC/archive/v0.4.zip

You will need to install Python for Windows, then launch a command prompt and type "python" to verify that the Python shell launches. Then you will need to download PySerial (https://github.com/pyserial/pyserial/archive/master.zip), unzip it, launch command prompt and change directory to your unzip location, then execute "python setup.py install". Once that is setup, download the OpenDNC v0.4 zip file above and extract it, open a command prompt and change directory to your extraction location and try "OpenDNC -h" for a help menu. Feel free to PM me if you have any issues.

I plan to work on the README file next so I can document the proper install steps.

Very cool. So this will work off Linux too? I have a Debian computer in the shop I setup. I'm not great with Linux but for old pc's it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesturf View Post
    Very cool. So this will work off Linux too? I have a Debian computer in the shop I setup. I'm not great with Linux but for old pc's it's great.

Yep, sorry for wrongly assuming Windows =) It is developed and tested on Linux, I dual boot my DNC computer to test with multiple OSes. As long as you install PySerial and use Python3, you should be good to go!

Thanks for beta testing - Please let me know how it works out for you and any suggestions. I do plan to add the GUI and the capability to persist configuration settings, but any other suggestions would be great. Pull requests are also always welcome on Github, even if it's just documentation updates.