586,584 active members*
2,839 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Cutting Outer Profiles and Cavities Separately

Cutting Outer Profiles and Cavities Separately

In reference to the part attached is there a way to have BobCAD only cut the outer profile while using a 3 axis feature? To machine the cavity it is only necessary to create a boundary on the raised profile, but is there a similar way to only machine the outer profile? Please note that I do have "Ignore Holes" on the parameter tab checked. Because of the thru hole in the part I dont believe that BobCAD sees the cavity as a hole to be ignored.
    ~Thanks

Cutting Outer Profiles and Cavities Separately

If it were me and keep in mind I'm not very experienced. I would add a layer, extract the upper edges of your pocket, make that a plane, then select it and the solid on the 3axis op that you want to only cut the outside edge. Then it won't see the pocket.

Re: Cutting Outer Profiles and Cavities Separately

Not sure why you would be trying to do this job with a 3 axis strategy but each to their own, I would simply do the job using 2 axis pocketing for the two main features but anyway, see the attached file for options for both 2 Axis and 3 Axis operations, may be of some use to you

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Thank you Rob for providing a solution. Is there a way in a 3 axis feature to have the boundary accept that it is an open pocket on the sides much like using dashed lines in 2 axis features?
    Drew

You can make a 2d sketch with a inside and outside profile, and it will cut between the profiles. So you would make the inside profile cover the pocket, and the outside profile oversized to give the tool the room it needs.
    Work: Hurco VMX42/VMX50 - Shopsabre 4896 - Bobcad V4 4axis pro
    Home: RF45 with Ajax CNC Controller - Bobcad V27 3 axis pro

Thanks for all the input. So far this appears to be a sufficient way to do this.

dunno,,,your CAM tree did not load

Sometimes a quick way to keep a tool out of a pocket is to uncheck "Center Cutting Tool". The logic is if it's not a center cutting endmill it should never plunge or ramp into the material - so it doesn't

BobCAD won't care if you tell it it's "Center Cutting" in one feature and not another.

Obviously this won't work if the pocket has an open wall somewhere (the endmill can enter through the side without plunging) so the next best thing is a boundary in a boundary. Make a very large boundary around your part and select the edges of the pocket too, just like an "island". I believe it will stay between the boundaries.

Thank you SBC Cycle!!
    By unchecking "Center Cutting Tool" it kept the toolpath out of the cavity. More importantly, the 2 other jobs that I had severe issues with the toolpath in the pocket it also worked on. This is what I was looking for. Thanks alot!

I would do it as seprate 2D tool paths like The Engine Guy said. Exporting the edges and using 2D on flat bottom pockets and profiles is way easier to get working then doing 3D tool paths.